PDA

View Full Version : Measuring non-orthogonal edges

patricks
2005-07-25, 10:19 PM
I have a pyramid-like shape in a model and I need to measure the length of one of the slanted edges. How would I do that? The edge is not parallel to any orthogonal view, and the measure tool isn't available in 3D views.

iru69
2005-07-25, 10:47 PM
If you set your work plane to the facade of the pyramid that you wanted to measure, I think you could then dimension it...

SCShell
2005-07-26, 02:11 PM
Hey there,

You may be able to set the curser on a corner point and then tab through until it highlights that point. Then it should run your dimension to the other point.

Let us know and good luck
Steve

patricks
2005-07-26, 03:23 PM
Well when I'm in a plan/section/elevation view, the measure tool only measures the distance parallel to the view's cut plane. So if I looked at a pyramid shape in plan view, and measured from a vertex at the base to the top point, it would only give me the horizontal distance between those points, not the actual distance of the edge that runs upward at an angle.

It would be nice to measure in a 3D view, but the tool is not available there.

bclarch
2005-07-26, 05:47 PM
Cut a section from corner to corner. Go to section view and measure.

Rhythmick
2005-07-27, 03:31 AM
You can overlay a model line on the edge you want by using the model line tool. In the 3d view set the working plane to the edge you want to measure, and overlay your line on the edge, select the line, it will show in a temp dimension and in the property length. Not sure how to set it as a permanent dimension though.

Scott D Davis
2005-07-27, 05:47 AM
From a Google search:

l = 2bh/(sqrt b^2+4h^2)

l = length of a line between 2 sides (tip to base)
b = pyramid base (square base)
h = height of pyramid

Make a parameter with the above formula, and let Revit calculate it for you.

patricks
2005-07-27, 05:50 PM
From a Google search:

l = 2bh/(sqrt b^2+4h^2)

l = length of a line between 2 sides (tip to base)
b = pyramid base (square base)
h = height of pyramid

Make a parameter with the above formula, and let Revit calculate it for you.

Well I was just using a pyramid as an example so you could visualize what it is I'm trying to measure. It's actually 2 planes coming off of a wall at two different slopes, at irregular angles, to create sort of a partial pyramid, if you will (this is part of an indoor water feature). I was just thinking about how I'm going to dimension the edges of each panel when I detail it.

Rhythmick
2005-07-28, 03:48 AM
You can dimension the overlayed model lines as I explained above by tabing to the end points.