PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Column

rodneyf
2005-07-26, 01:44 PM
I have read the thread regarding a rope column and that is a great thread and it help me a lot however I just can not seem to create the column shown in the attached picture. Any help would be greatful.

SkiSouth
2005-07-26, 02:12 PM
Did you look at this thread? There's three different solutions presented HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=6179)

DaveP
2005-07-26, 03:41 PM
Wow, Rodney.
Nice rendering !
:wink:

rodneyf
2005-07-26, 04:27 PM
Skisouth, yes I did look at that thread and that is the reason for my inquiry, because I have tried to reverse engineer it and I just can't seem to get my head around it. I will try to play with it more later.

DaveP, that is not a rendering it is a picture from the company's website that makes that type of column.

DaveP
2005-07-26, 05:11 PM
that is not a rendering it is a picture from the company's website that makes that type of column.
That's why there was a wink at the end ;-)

Guess that's shows why sarcasm doesn't work well in email.

rodneyf
2005-07-26, 07:50 PM
DaveP, I noticed the icon but it did not register in my head when i was responding. But now that you mention it.

sbrown
2005-07-27, 04:17 AM
any chance the company can send you the dwg files? Do you need to render it? If not I make a simplified version that is just the shaft with an angled void cut through it and arrayed up, this looks pretty good in 3d but only in one elevation, then just use the dwg for the elevation views.

Mr Spot
2005-07-27, 06:49 AM
Download Hexagon. you could create one to the specified height in about 1 minute, save to dwg and import into a column family...

rodneyf
2005-07-27, 11:23 AM
Scott,
No I don't need to render it yet, but I know someone in this office will want to later. Also I have not contacted the company yet.

Mr. Spot,
Have you used that program? It looks really good but I don't know if I have time to learn another program right at this moment.

Thanks,

Mr Spot
2005-07-27, 09:58 PM
Scott,
No I don't need to render it yet, but I know someone in this office will want to later. Also I have not contacted the company yet.

Mr. Spot,
Have you used that program? It looks really good but I don't know if I have time to learn another program right at this moment.

Thanks,
It would be extremely easy to learn for the purposes of doing that column. Just a matter of using the spiral tool, drawing in the spiral path and setting the number of rotations, then creating the curved profile, aligning it to the start of the path and combining them to create a sweep.

There are plenty of helpful video tutorials built in...

rodneyf
2005-07-28, 11:16 AM
Mr Spot,
I will look into Hexagon a little more closely to see if it would be a good fit in our office. Thanks to everyone the gave me their input on this.