PDA

View Full Version : In-place families & removal from Project Browser

Chad Smith
2005-07-29, 01:37 AM
We had a rather tense moment in our office this morning, where we had an in-place family that was accidentally deleted yesterday, and it was only noticed today after many hours of work that is was gone.
After a search in our server backups (not Revit backups), we managed to find a previous project version, that we could grab the family and place it into our current working file. This was a rather lengthy process, but in the end the disaster was averted.

My question is:
Why are in-place families deleted from the Project Browser after the last instance of the family is deleted from the workspace?

It had never hit me until today, that the deletion of the in-place family from the Project Browser can be a dangerous thing. If it was still in the Project Browser in our situation, then the missing family could have been put back into the workspace in no time.

I think that this should be changed, with maybe a prompt from Revit when you delete the last family instance which asks if you would like to delete the family from your project. This would also act as an alert that you may be deleting something that you may not get back.

Any comments?

SkiSouth
2005-07-29, 03:50 AM
Good point. Goes back to Irwin's argument about the multiplicity of the Revit Backups too. Like the idea of a warning. Probably should be moved to wish list items.

Chad Smith
2005-07-29, 04:02 AM
Goes back to Irwin's argument about the multiplicity of the Revit Backups too.
Where can I find this thread?

eddy.lermytte
2005-07-29, 09:59 AM
I think Skisouth is referring towards the tread "My 5 month wish list" started by Januson
Eddy

SkiSouth
2005-07-29, 10:09 AM
Correct, the thread is HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=22408&page=3&pp=10)

Wes Macaulay
2005-07-29, 02:50 PM
I think that this should be changed, with maybe a prompt from Revit when you delete the last family instance which asks if you would like to delete the family from your project. This would also act as an alert that you may be deleting something that you may not get back.I agree (though I've never had or seen this happen). Revit does this already for groups, warning you when the last one is gone...