PDA

View Full Version : Best way to split a building over 2 sheets

Max Lloyd
2005-07-29, 11:39 AM
Hi there.

I've got a building that I want to set up on an A1 sheet at 1:50. Easy enough. Trouble is the building is just too big, so I feel the best solution (seeing as we don't use A0) is to split the floor plans over 2 sheets. Whats the best way to do this?

Is it best to just duplicate the view? (left hand side of ground floor & right hand side of ground floor for example)

Seems a little messy to me.

Any bright ideas?

Les Therrien
2005-07-29, 12:04 PM
It's a pain in the arse.
But what I've had to do in the past is duplicate the floor plans then crop them to represent each halves. Prior to these sheets I made a smaller scaled key plans for the "reader" to see the overall picture.
I hate doing this, but I don't see any other choice really. Especially when you require a certain level of detail in the overall picture.

J. Grouchy
2005-07-29, 01:18 PM
I gotta say, I do sort of wish you could put the same view on different sheets (adjusting the crop region and scale independently in each view) for this very reason. It's one thing I liked about xreferences and viewports in ACAD. I hate having to duplicate a plan...it just seems too much like I'm cheating and that there is actually some really logical way of doing it that I haven't thought of.

DaveP
2005-07-29, 02:41 PM
I'd have to agree with Les about the "pain" comment.

Every project we've done so far has been split into Zones. The best way we've found is to Duplicate the view and adjust the crop boxes. The model itself, of course, is kept up to date in all Views, but you'll have to watch the Annotation, Grids, and especially the Room Tags.

We typically have one overall plan that we do all the model work on, and only work on the Zoned Views for annotations.

Try to put off Tagging the Rooms for as long as you can. When you're in Schematics, and even early DDs, your walls tend to move around a lot (duh!) When you've already put tags on three of four Views, and a wall moves, suddenly you start getting "Room Tags refer to differ en areas" error messages. IF you haven't moved the Tags around much, it's simple to just blow them all away on most of the Views and then copy & Paste them from the master, but its still a pain. And, once you start putting them in different locations on different Views, then you have to move them again.

I'd like to see the ability to place a View on more than one sheet, too - with different Crop Regions. I can see why you don't want to have, say, a Callout or a Section (or anything with a Reference symbol) on multiple sheets, but a Floor or Ceiling Plan shouldn't mess anything up.

DaveP
2005-07-29, 02:42 PM
BTW, Les & Grav:

Are your avatars related to each other?

J. Grouchy
2005-07-29, 02:47 PM
BTW, Les & Grav:

not unless Oscar the Grouch had a cameo role in Mars Attacks!

yours is disturbing to me... ;)

J. Grouchy
2005-07-29, 03:18 PM
I've posted an idea over in the Revit Wishlist forum...see what you think:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=23385

captainbunsaver
2005-07-29, 04:11 PM
I've used callouts for portions of buildings. Would that work for what you guys are needing?

cbs

abarrette
2005-07-29, 04:38 PM
I've used callouts for portions of buildings. Would that work for what you guys are needing?
That would be an excellent solution if a callout was just a window into an existing view and the annotations were visible through that window without being resident in the callout view. The need to annotate the separate views is the problematic part of splitting the plan IMO.

The easiest way we've done it here is similar to Dave's solution. We have one working view for each plan that we annotate fully and then duplicate, crop, and delete the extraneous annotations for each split view. We split the plans as late as possible to avoid annotation conflicts. Scope boxes are useful for snapping crop regions to identical portions of the plan, monitoring certain annotation elements, and rotating views if that is needed.

Grav8e's "View Region" has merit. Basically a viewport for a look-see into the working view. Useful only for sheet placement. How it would be achieved... I'm not sure what would be easiest for the developers. Perhaps a new callout type. Working Callouts and Viewing Callouts or some such thing.

DaveP
2005-07-29, 05:17 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the more useful I think this would be.

Another on of our problems is Bulletins & Addenda. If we're not re-issuing the whole sheet, we use 8.5 x 11 or 11x17 page size & we need to go through the whole same process of duplicating , cropping & generally a whole bunch of effort.
If you could just place the original View on a different sheet, if would make the process much simpler.

J. Grouchy
2005-07-29, 05:20 PM
well you two should post these comments in my wishlist thread...!

Les Therrien
2005-07-29, 06:38 PM
BTW, Les & Grav:

the closest relation for me is that I have a 1 year old son named Oscar!

Alvin_Alejandro
2005-07-30, 01:35 AM
I've searched related issue of this thread but the best way I've got was duplicate with detail crop it and group the match line between separated area to make life easier.

This problem occured specially for large project

- Its requires Attention for this issue.