PDA

View Full Version : Backup

beegee
2003-05-18, 01:45 AM
What is the best / recommended way to automatically handle backups for Revit files without clogging up the system with the myriad of numbered backup copies created by Revit on each save ?

Currently I use Second Copy ( a great little programme ) to automatically save rvt files to a backup CDRW. It also picks up all the numbered saved files, which I don't really need and blows out the size of the backup considerably. Yes, I can manually delete these first, but that defeats the purpose of an automatic backup :( .

Steve Burri posted on the NG in January that a .bat file could be run periodically ( perhaps even automatically ) that would find and move or delete extra journal files. I havn't tried this and was wondering how others are handling it ?

beegee

Henry D
2003-05-18, 03:06 PM
Maybe you do this already, but if you click on "save as" and go to "options" you can limit the number of back ups under "Retain at most _ back ups". I just set mine to 1 back up.

beegee
2003-05-18, 09:00 PM
Maybe you do this already, but if you click on "save as" and go to "options" you can limit the number of back ups under "Retain at most _ back ups". I just set mine to 1 back up.

Well... you learn something new :oops: I hadn't seen that before.

Should that be option be checked & saved as the main template to operate globally ?

beegee

Henry D
2003-05-19, 11:48 AM
I don't know of a way to set number of back-ups globally. This sets the number of back-ups for the project.

beegee
2003-05-19, 09:11 PM
I don't know of a way to set number of back-ups globally. This sets the number of back-ups for the project.

It should be a relatively simple thing to add to the programme.
I don't want it to take precedence to other more important items, but I will add it to the wishlist.

beegee