PDA

View Full Version : Question if I Should Use Revit or AutoCad...?

artitech
2005-08-05, 12:23 PM
I have been given a project in our office that has already gone through the design stage in AutoCAD. There are schematic floor plans, elevations and a a site plan. I've been given the task to take it to the design development level (basic dimensions, grades, material designations, etc.) from there we will go into working drawings.

The project is a develepor project and won't be going to public tender, so less is more in this case. It's a three storey wood frame retirement home.

We're also having an illustrator do color renderings for sales purposes, so we won't likely need to do any in house perspectives.

QUESTION:
Would you go through the time to put the project into Revit at this stage or just complete it with AutoCAD?

C. Stechyshyn

Lashers
2005-08-05, 12:44 PM
I'd say go to Revit! Why? Because it seems an easy one to start off with. There is no sense in trying to learn a new software (even if it is this good) whilst adding the pressure of heavy output requirements.

Also, there is the benefit of sections & callouts which would be easy to generate in Revit anyway. If you use standard details then just import them and attach them to the relevant callout and there you have perfect coordination and control over your drawing package!

my 1p

Martin P
2005-08-05, 01:58 PM
Definitely go with Revit - do you really want to draw the sections etc?

We do this all the time in my office, it takes no time at all to copy to Revit. Even if it takes you a week (which I bet it wont!) to get it to the same stage, you will save that time on section drawing alone, never mind scheduling!

BWG
2005-08-05, 03:06 PM
I had to transition into revit. We have several projects that were started in another program, but once I got the changes back from the owners, I traced over the plan in revit and began the model. By the time you get to CDs, you are so far ahead of the game in revit it is sometimes unbelievable that people are still using other programs like Autocad. In the future start the job in Revit and see how fast you can get it done. We are still learning the program and have only had it for a couple of months, but have reduced schematic to cd time by almost half compared to our other program - on most projects. And, you get to see all your changes in 3D easily which is great. The coordination benefit is great too because you don't have this in Autocad.

hand471037
2005-08-05, 03:35 PM
I'd say Revit, because you'll see you mistakes right up front and early.

A true strength of using Revit for production CD's is in this, that you can't hide and/or miss something that doesn't work but yet is buried deep in the set.

For example, I once took over a AutoCAD project in progress, and at 80% CD's realized that all the bathroom elevations, which I thought were at least blocked out and drawn, had actually just been cut-and-pasted from another project, and while the notes and finishes were correct (standard bathrooms) the graphics weren't. And I only caught this because I was looking closely, and this was at an interiors firm where the projects were fast and furious.

So if I were you I'd do it in Revit, even moreso because you have no idea if what you're being given as AutoCAD files is actually buildable, yet you're the one who will be sued if it's not. :D

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-05, 06:10 PM
...I'd say Revit, because you'll see you mistakes right up front and early...
No surprises that Revit folks will tell you to use Revit eh? Well I'm no different...and I echo what Jeffrey says.

I think nearly every single project I've used dwg underlays to start a Revit project has very quickly pointed out issues that had not been fully considered.

Yes, you'd find these things in AutoCAD too...but you'd have to rely as much on your knowledge and intuition to find them, as well as with liberal external references and overlays etc. With Revit one quick spin of the model points out dozens of issues that are too easy to overlook.

One other thing, I find using autocad files to start a design in Revit highlights just how ambiguous Autocad drawings are. Elevations in particular...what does this line mean? What is the depth of a feature? It can be quite hard to truly understand the design intent from an elevation dwg even though you get an emotional reaction or expectation based on what you "see"... So I say, you shouldn't underestimate the power of having modelled it to really explain what you want the design to achieve.

artitech
2005-08-05, 06:33 PM
Thanks all,

I have been convinced and it has given me the inspiration to convince the partner in charge that Revit is the way to go, no matter how much time was already speant on the AutoCAD drawing.

So away I go to start overlaying my Revit walls over the autocad plans....

C. Stechyshyn

BWG
2005-08-05, 06:37 PM
Thanks all,

I have been convinced and it has given me the inspiration to convince the partner in charge that Revit is the way to go, no matter how much time was already speant on the AutoCAD drawing.

C. Stechyshyn

That is just it. You have spent too many man-hours trying to do this project in Autocad.

DaveP
2005-08-05, 08:09 PM
Keep us posted!

I'll bet by Monday morning, you'll be saying "I'm done already!"
and
"Why did I even wonder which way to go?"

Your biggest problem will probably be that you're tracing over inaccurate AutoCAD drawings & you'll want to fix it.;)

J. Grouchy
2005-08-05, 08:19 PM
You came into this forum and expected someone here to maybe say ACAD? Granted, the answer you got was the correct one... :)

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-08-05, 08:26 PM

One caution when using existing Autocad geometry as the base for your Revit model. Be sure the Autocad stuff can be trusted. Take a little time to ensure that lines are really square and parallel and that end points really are end points.
If possible use the ACAD work as an underlay but lay out with new Revit gridlines to ensure accuracy.
Good luck.

artitech
2005-08-05, 08:27 PM
You know.... I was expecting someone to say AutoCAD.... I don't know why, but I was.

Anyway, if this was a test.... everyone passed.

Thanks again.

artitech
2005-08-05, 08:28 PM
One caution when using existing Autocad geometry as the base for your Revit model. Be sure the Autocad stuff can be trusted. Take a little time to ensure that lines are really square and parallel and that end points really are end points.
If possible use the ACAD work as an underlay but lay out with new Revit gridlines to ensure accuracy.
Good luck.
Good advice, I will lay out Revit Grid Lines right away.

Thanks.

SkiSouth
2005-08-05, 08:50 PM
Depending on the condition of the autocad plans, you might want to use Aaron's suggestion HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13213&highlight=walls+autocad) not that the Autocad drawings will vary THAT much :grin: