PDA

View Full Version : Detail views.

david.metcalf
2005-08-05, 05:10 PM
Is it standard to put the stud plate on sub strate rather than on finish floor which us what Revit is doing?

See the attached images as what I mean. Tried to use Filled Regions and Edge Cut Profile to modify the section ans detail views. I am finding it a bit cumbersome with sending and bringing to front the filled regions.

wildcat_714
2005-08-05, 06:03 PM
Cant see the photos so Im taking a guess here, but why not just use a detail component? Or if this is on every wall put the detail as a sweep withing the wall family. If you can get the images posted I can see exactly what you want and help a little better.
p-

aaronrumple
2005-08-05, 09:06 PM
Revit is very literal in what it does.
The sample wall and floor you are probably referring to has the joist as structure, the wood deck as substrate and the flooring as finish.
A substrate cannot support a structural element. Change the wood deck to be a structural component and you'll find it now supported the wall above and the juncture is as you would expect in platform framing.

david.metcalf
2005-08-05, 09:12 PM
The bitmaps should have been attached along with my first post message. My posting rules show me as "may post attachments".Let's see if it works this time. After posting this I see my files sizes were too big. So I will have to reduce the size of the BMP files.

aaronrumple
2005-08-05, 09:25 PM
Nope. Back to the drawing board.

david.metcalf
2005-08-05, 09:49 PM
What drawing board? : )

Aaron mentioned that I need to change the substrate floor compontent to structural since the structure checkbox was greyed out I created a custom floor and attempted the change the substrate to stucture. However I am getting "Deck Profile not Loaded. To Create a structural deck load deck profile first." Which mean I have to create the profile? Looked in the /Profiles/Structural folder to no avail. Looked in the help topics under structural. Perhaps some tips as to the procedure? These attachments are PNG format.

patricks
2005-08-05, 10:13 PM
ummm there shouldn't be any profiles associated with floor elements.

It looked to me like the first attachment is what you want, now just join geometry of between the wall and floor and the floor finish should cut back out of the wall space.

Now me personally, I like having the floor level at whatever level the wall sits on, in which case the floor offset would have to be above 0 (or whatever the level elevation is), or a separate floor slab consisting of only the floor finish would be needed. But that's just the way I like to do things.

david.metcalf
2005-08-05, 10:30 PM
Yeah, Join worked! That was TOO easy, so obvious. Now for the wrap of the ceiling GWB to the wall GWB so that it displays in elevations and camera views. Bet that is another easy one.

aaronrumple
2005-08-05, 10:34 PM
If you are just after material for rendering - use the paint tool.

patricks
2005-08-06, 03:45 AM
Yeah, Join worked! That was TOO easy, so obvious. Now for the wrap of the ceiling GWB to the wall GWB so that it displays in elevations and camera views. Bet that is another easy one.

Are you talking about like where a ceiling turns up and goes vertical, like in a soffit situation? Again use join geometry. I think if you have a wall and a ceiling that are both constructed the same way (GWB and metal or wood studs) and the bottom of the wall and the ceiling are both at the same level, and the ceiling comes all the way out to the finish face of the wall, then it should look correct when you join geometry, i.e. the stud layer will join together and the GWB layer will join and be continuous across the ceiling (soffit) and then up the wall.

david.metcalf
2005-08-08, 03:22 PM
I will take a hack at it. When I did this I only had gotten the plate to the sub floor after changing that from substrate to structure. Unfortunalty the GWB of the wall did not join to the GWB of the ceiling.