PDA

View Full Version : Inserting key plans

mes.84998
2005-08-05, 07:30 PM
Can anyone help me out with inserting key plans on floor plan sheets? My goal is to make one key plan for, lets say Area B and then insert this key plan view onto multiple sheets. The problem that I am coming up with is that Revit tells me that I need to make a copy of the view. That could add up to possibly 20 or more copies of the same key plan.

Is there a way to disassociate the key plan from the automatic numbering that Revit does?

Thanks
Mark

Matt Brennan
2005-08-05, 07:45 PM
You could create a “legend” and insert that the corresponding sheet(s). If that legend changes, the ones placed on the sheets will automatically update.
Or you could always duplicate different views by using the callout tool or cropped region tool. You have to decide what the best practice is for you and your firm.

bclarch
2005-08-05, 07:53 PM
There was a recent thread with a few other suggestions. Try a quick search.

mes.84998
2005-08-05, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I tried that first but had no luck. Do you know which subgroup the post was located in?

Thanks

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-05, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I tried that first but had no luck. Do you know which subgroup the post was located in?

ThanksThe trouble with searching in our forum is that we limit words to 4 characters or more, so KEY isn't going to work in a search. To get around this, try searching for *KEY* Plans and you'll get many more results. There are a few, one I posted in tips and tricks, from before Legends were possible.

Key plans mean pretty much the same thing to most of us, but how we implement them in our practice varies from firm to firm, and from project to project. Thus it isn't a solution provided out of the box....yet!

patricks
2005-08-05, 09:26 PM
I recently discovered using a legend for a key plan, since you can place the same legend view on multiple sheets. This would work fine if you have the same key plan with all the plan areas labeled.

Now if you want the keyplan to show with the adjacent plan area on that sheet shown as shaded or whatever, you would probably have to place the legend view on each sheet, and then do a filled region over it, not in the legend view, but in the plan view itself. Of course this could cause problems with having to extend crop regions to include the area on the sheet where the key plan is (since you can't do filled regions on sheets themselves). So for that I'm not real sure what the best method would be.

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-05, 09:49 PM
This THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13304)explains one approach I've taken. Regardless whether you export a floor plan to dwg to create the building profile or not, putting such a profile in your titleblock family allows you to create yes/no parameters to control the visiblity of filled regions and the linework that describes the various parts of the project. Then these parameters will let you turn on/off the portion of the bldg that is relevant for each sheet.

Another example of what I'm describing is in this THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=11921).

patricks
2005-08-05, 10:09 PM
That method looks pretty neat, but by doing that, each project would have to have its own title block, am I right? We have one title block family that we use on all projects, I'm not real sure if we would wnat to go creating separate sheet families for each project.

Also what about sheets other than plan views that don't get a key plan, do you have separate sheet families used only for plan sheets and then a different sheet family used for everything else?

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-05, 10:14 PM
That method looks pretty neat, but by doing that, each project would have to have its own title block, am I right? I find it pretty common to have a project copy of the office standard titleblock. Technically speaking when you start a new project you are using a copy of the office standard. To make changes you have to reload it. Office wide changes don't happen nearly as often as project issues may demand subtle differences, usually information is added.

Either way, if you add enough parameters you can make the keyplan disappear completely from sheets that you don't want to see them on.