PDA

View Full Version : Arched Stone Trim?

colechilton
2005-08-05, 07:30 PM
Hi all, I'm new to posting questions in this forum but I have been reeding alot of posted questions and they have helped me a ton! I have one naging question that I have been struggling with for a while. Is there a way or a preferable technique to adding stone or brick trim over an arched window in the family editor, or is this something that's done in the project environment?

Matt Brennan
2005-08-05, 07:48 PM
You could either create this in place but it would be more practical to create this in the family with parameters. So if the window/door gets bigger or smaller, the stone trim will follow it.

patricks
2005-08-05, 09:22 PM
I made a brick arch family with width and radius parameters that can be placed over windows, doors, whatever you want. However, I have to draw the mortar joints manually, since really the only way to make that parametric would be to have some kind of complex array formula in the family, and I haven't yet had time to figure out how to make that work.

And if you need to render it, well I don't know how you would make that work, unfortunately.

PeterJ
2005-08-09, 12:17 PM
I have been battling with the parametric mortar joints for a while. It is actually pretty easy to set up if you have a radial arch, but when you have a flat guaged brick arch, which is really most of the stuff I am doing each brick is different, so each mortar joint is different and I haven't worked out how to make it work yet.

I think the answer is to have a solid with voids to recess the mortar, then a standard piece of mortar which is set into the voids and finally a void across the top and bottom of the main solid which cuts the solid bits of mortar back to the right size. I haven't found it possible to do with detail lines and because each brick is slightly different I haven't found a way of making a standard unit array in quite the right fashion yet.

Les Therrien
2005-08-09, 02:38 PM
This is just one of those things that once the factory figures out, Revit will be invincible!!!