PDA

View Full Version : Best way for consultants to view Revit files?

patricks
2005-08-05, 09:31 PM
We're trying to figure out a way for our consultants to be able to view our Revit project files. Of course ideally we would like them to switch to Revit, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. However we would like to be able to make our Revit model available for them to view if they need clarifications on anything or whatever, they would just be able to look at the model, zoom in on parts, etc.

I know they could just install a trial version and I guess re-install it every time it expires, but I was wondering if there's any kind of viewer they could use just for viewing the model and views, etc.? It would also be nice if they could cut sections wherever they wanted to and be able to view those. Ideas?

*edit* all of our consultants are currently using AutoCAD 2004.

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-05, 09:37 PM
They could just use Revit in demo mode? That's the "best" viewer possible.

Otherwise you could export the model to dwf and sheet views to dwf separately so they could use the free dwf viewer to wander around.

Yet another, export the model to dwg from a 3d view and you can give them a dwg file they can spin around etc. The best? I guess you and your consultants will need to decide which is best?

SkiSouth
2005-08-05, 09:40 PM
With envy.

Matt Brennan
2005-08-05, 09:50 PM
Like Steve said, 3d and 2d dwfs are the way to go. A lot of our clients our starting to use this method of communication and they seeing results with it. A 3d dwf sometimes will even eliminate the company from producing a high-end rendering.

Why spend the time and money on something if you don’t have to…

patricks
2005-08-05, 10:04 PM
I've never dealt with DWF's before. Is this something that AutoCAD can open and view, or something else? Would the be able to cut sections through the DWF model?

Matt Brennan
2005-08-05, 10:12 PM
You won’t be able to cut section(s) but you will be able to turn on/off or even make objects transparent by right clicking on them. You can also isolate objects as well. You will need to download and install the free dwf viewer by clicking on the link below.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=4424149

I have attached a 3d dwf that I personally did on one project. The client was really really impressed by it. You can take a look at the completed Revit project on my website, www.independentdrafting.com under renovations, then the “Larmor” project.

Enjoy…

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-05, 10:17 PM
...You won’t be able to cut section(s)...Of the 3D dwf model...but you can plot your sheets to dwf and give them the sections you want them to see as well. DWF is Autodesk's PDF...they hope to carve out a niche for this format.

aaronrumple
2005-08-05, 10:44 PM
1st. Choice is Revit in demo mode. They can cut theiur own sections, take measuments make new views and explore the modle in the same way you do. They just can't save/print or export.

2nd Chioce would be DWG. It might be a large dataset, but they can slice and dice it as needed.

3rd Choice I hate to say would be 3D DWF. Respectable 3D display.

4th Choice would be 3D PDF. I need more time to play with it, but it has potential to run circles around DWF for presetations.

patricks
2005-08-06, 03:50 AM
Of the 3D dwf model...but you can plot your sheets to dwf and give them the sections you want them to see as well. DWF is Autodesk's PDF...they hope to carve out a niche for this format.

Nah they need to be able to cut sections as they need them in case there's some certain area they don't understand exactly what's going on.

beegee
2005-08-06, 04:31 AM
You can also export 3D cutaway models from Revit to DWF and turn the walls, roofs and floors transparent , or hide them completely, individually or by category, or isolate those elements, which should give consultants a whole heap of information to deal with.

jbalding48677
2005-08-06, 06:07 PM
We have been tinkering with 3d DWF's and are creating 6-8 views that are using the section box and exporting those. These views mimic the building sections in the CDs. Others can view, spin, zoom, make categories or individual items hidden or transparent. Not to mention get basic information about the elements. We even have a project manager that likes the idea of picking an item and telling the person on Revit to "move element 34938 2.4 meters to the south..."

One note, families created in place do not seem to want to be cut by the section box upon exporting to DWF.