PDA

View Full Version : Revit export to dwg, line numbers to colors

felix.81253
2005-08-06, 02:49 AM
I just tried to export some Revit files into dwg...looks fine, geometrically, but alas, as expected layers are colored in some fashion- depending on the .txt file export mapping..

bon, to get a hold of the problem, I copied the .txt file and changed the columns, described in the header of the text file...without success.

Any hint helps

Thanks,

Felix

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-06, 05:07 AM
...Any hint helps...We might be able to help a bit if you get a little more specific. For example, did you assign Walls and their sub-categories to a specific layer, assigning a layer and color for both Projection and Cut line representations?

When you set up the export "rules" you have to keep in mind that for plans Cut is the primary column you need look at since walls, door, etc are all cut in a plan view. Projection is the column for objects when they are not cut...so it should be a lighter "color" pen weight...

eldad
2005-08-08, 07:00 AM
felix,
you will need to go to import/export setting under file menu and to "export layer dwg/dxf" load the text file you wish to use i.e exportlayerAIA.txt in there you should be able to change colours and thus change line weight.
though I'm not very happy with the control you get there... see other posts about exporting layers...

felix.81253
2005-08-08, 06:18 PM
thanks for the responses guys.

I actually used the wrong export .txt file in the under the "options" to begin with. Looking into the "export layers-dwg_AIA..." it seems understandable from what is going on. - I will try to tailor this to our requirements....-must have been in some Friday hurry.

Felix

felix.81253
2005-08-08, 09:07 PM
well, now it gets as specific as I am able to describe it:
In Revit, I have set all the Line-weights according to our office AutoCAD line-weight (only for the 1/8 view scale so far).

then, I opened the "export layers-dwg-AIA.txt" from the Revit data file and changed the
mapping defaults for the exterior wall first- to see how it would export.
The goal is to have the number six lineweight in Revit to become the magenta colored number six in AutoCAD.
What I get is green lines for the walls. Also, the lineweight units are not in inches as set in Revit, but in mm...
Quite confusing I find.
- So, what is the proper procedure for getting the Revit file exported to the same Layer colors and according to specific office standards? Looks like a lot of fine tuning to me. The help files in Revit are not of much help.

Thanks

Felix

eldad
2005-08-09, 12:53 AM
Felix,
the colours in Revit relating to numbers, this is what I have:
1-red-0.18
2-yellow-0.35
3-green-0.5
4-cyan-0.7
5-blue-1.0
6-magenta-0.13
7-black(white)-0.25
8-gray-0.09
9-gray-0.05

so theoretically if you change the colours in the AIA.txt setting (from Revit) it should export to Acad with no problems right? not so in my experience :( the dwg file just doesn't behave the way it should be,
wish someone could clarify this matter...

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-09, 01:51 AM
Are you referring to walls and their subcategories or all objects exported?

Added:

Here's what (little) I can tell you about exporting to DWG in 8.0 regarding walls. (see the attached images) (pay no attention to the layer naming I used...it was just for debugging)

When you export without invoking the Override Host Layers (ORHL) option in a view's visibility properties, you get one export rule governing what layer and color is used. The Type of wall rules (exterior, interior, foundation etc.). The "Cut" lineweight is applied to exterior edges and the "Projection" lineweight is applied to patterns and interior line work (lines inside the wall boundaries).

When you invoke the ORHL option but don't assign different lineweights you get more control over the linework exported, but the common edges between say, veneer, air or insulation gets applied to settings for the Default host layer Line Style parameter.

When you invoke the ORHL option but do assign different lineweights to the different sub-categories of the wall you get slightly more control but still lose some to the Default Host layer. The heavier lineweight applied affects which common edges end up using the layer you specified versus giving way to the Default Host Layer Line Style setting.

Clearly it is confusing and I'm not sure how they arrived at this current specification for exporting dwg data. I think this needs some work personally.

eldad
2005-08-09, 10:58 PM
Steve,
I agree, this is a very confusing way to export DWG. My logic is this:
the import/export setting should be the default setting. so changing sub layers (let's talk about walls) colours should not be over written by the host layer, otherwise, what is the point?
personally, I think this is an unfinished area in Revit.
CAN A DEVELOPER JUMP IN AND CLEAR THIS ISSUE PLEASE? :)

felix.81253
2005-08-10, 12:51 AM
Eldad and Steve,

thank you very much for the responses, I have to digest this, play around a bit and see what will be the best way for some modest consultant backgrounds...

Felix

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-10, 01:56 AM
...some modest consultant backgrounds...If you discuss this with your consultants you may find that they'd be happy if you just provided everything on a specific layer and "pre-screened"...assigning everything to their preferred screen color. If so you can completely side step the issues we're discussing. If they have specific ideas about what they layers they want things on, everything except for walls will behave pretty well.

Again...maybe all they care about is a coarse representation of walls so you can set up a view using a detail level of coarse and assign all layers to use their screen color. Just some thoughts...I seldom encounter serious problems exporting for backgrounds. It is usually handing off a Revit export to continue architectural design apart from Revit where export issues start to get touchy.