PDA

View Full Version : Export DWG to 1 layer?

Martin P
2005-08-08, 10:33 AM
Is it possible to make Revit export a view to just 1 layer/colour? I have to add floor plans regularly to a massive site plan - It would be nice to just export then place it.... I have to at the moment do alot of edits each time to make it work with sensible layering..

Nic M.
2005-08-08, 11:06 AM
Martin,

Did you try to create a custom export setting? All categories set to the same layer.
Maybe that could work?

Martin P
2005-08-08, 12:09 PM
It would appear I have to edit the categories one at a time in the export settings!!! - I would have to repeat it hundreds of times...... Not sure how the export works across multiple files - some files have other categories that others dont - so if a new category appears (ie linetypes etc) what happens to the settings?

was hoping there was a better way than editing in Revit - maybe a text file that I just import in and it makes it all categories just one layer - I dont know really how it works with the text file?

I have about a dozen revit models that I need to keep the plans on the site current with - it really is a phenomenal amount of work to simply do that at the moment.....

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-08, 01:29 PM
It would appear I have to edit the categories one at a time in the export settings!!! All you have to do is provide a layer name for the main category and delete the value in the sub-category. The layer name in brackets means that is the layer that sub categories will inherit. Revit will default to the main category if no layer is defined for the subs. Make sure you assign a layer for both cut and projection columns.

Yes it will a take a little time. Save the file as a separate txt file and you'll only need to do it once with a few adjustments as you add more objects. Also, limit the view you export to just the things you need to provide the site for coordination. The fewer objects you export, obviously you can ignore specifying a layer for their categories.

Use menu item FILE > IMPORT/EXPORT SETTINGS > EXPORT LAYERS DWG/DXF

Martin P
2005-08-09, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the pointer steve - it sounds like less work to do that once than it at the moment to edit each export every time in autocad... Maybe just using a script in autocad would be the simplest method... will try both :)