PDA

View Full Version : How to edit a dimension

Wagurto
2005-08-08, 02:40 PM
I need to edit a dimension to read something else or to add something like field verify or any other specifications.
I tried to mask a text on top of my dimension but does not cover it even though is opaque.
Is there any generic family like null dimension? that can I use?
thanks

J. Grouchy
2005-08-08, 02:49 PM
I need to edit a dimension to read something else or to add something like field verify or any other specifications.
I tried to mask a text on top of my dimension but does not cover it even though is opaque.
thanks

Opaque text should work. Is it just that the opaque area is not big enough? In this case I usually create a separate dimension type where the text is very small and is easily covered.

blads
2005-08-08, 03:21 PM
thanks

I'd usually create a duplicate style > then select "units Format" > uncheck "project settings" > apply a rounding factor > OK

I then select a different colour for this dimension type, so I know is not actual dims; then place a dimension using the new style > go to element properties & type in, eg "Verify on site" in the suffix text area

HTH

iru69
2005-08-08, 03:35 PM
Opaque text should work. Is it just that the opaque area is not big enough? In this case I usually create a separate dimension type where the text is very small and is easily covered.
I've run into that problem - nice trick!

While, theoretically, dimension measurements should always be what they measure, the reality is that on every single job I've ever worked on, there has been a need at some point to over-ride/fudge dimensions with a different number or with text (e.g. "field verify"). It would be nice if Revit was able to more elegantly cope with these realities. Otherwise, people just come up with these kind of work-arounds, which defeats the purpose of not allowing it in the first place.

David Sammons
2005-08-08, 03:36 PM
For existing dimensions or other dimensions that require field verification, I add the value '+/-' to the 'Suffix' parameter in the 'Element Properties' dialogue box for the dimension in question. You can add whatever 'Prefix' or 'Suffix' you choose to the dimension in this dialogue box.

J. Grouchy
2005-08-08, 03:39 PM
While, theoretically, dimension measurements should always be what they measure, the reality is that on every single job I've ever worked on, there has been a need at some point to over-ride/fudge dimensions with a different number or with text (e.g. "field verify"). It would be nice if Revit was able to more elegantly cope with these realities. Otherwise, people just come up with these kind of work-arounds, which defeats the purpose of not allowing it in the first place.

Where it seems to be necessary for me most often is where I am showing dimensions in my sections that cut through arches or some other part of the building where the dimension varies like a typical section where the joist bearing varies along the length of the building. To me it's just a necessity and to not allow it is just denying that reality.

Archman
2005-08-08, 05:30 PM
refer to this thread:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2067&highlight=blank+font