PDA

View Full Version : collapse all views in project browser

Archman
2005-08-09, 06:15 PM
I am wondering if there is a way to collapse all the views in the project browser at once. Currently, I am collapsing each section at a time by clicking the little minus sign next to the section.

patricks
2005-08-09, 06:18 PM
Why not just close the window when you don't need it? Lots of open view windows can affect performance (and I can't STAND having to open a separate dialog box in the Window menu when I have more than 9 views open), so I try to close them as much as possible, except for the ones I'm directly working on. So just close them, and click on it in the project browser later the next time you need to work in that view.

There's also a Close Hidden Windows command in the Window menu if you get lots of windows open and you don't want to click on the X on each one.

abarrette
2005-08-09, 06:27 PM
I don't think that's what he meant. I imagine you mean collapsing the views like collapsing a directory tree in windows explorer. As far as I know there isn't a way to collapse the entire tree of views. Clicking the minus sign next to the group of views will work just fine and actually has some benefits. When you re-expand the category it remembers which sub-sections were also expanded. The Family category of the project browser is where I have found this to be the most useful.

You can also group your views differently by going to Settings->Browser Organization and changing your options there. I haven't messed with this much so I am unsure of its functionality and benefits.

patricks
2005-08-09, 07:24 PM
I don't think that's what he meant. I imagine you mean collapsing the views like collapsing a directory tree in windows explorer. As far as I know there isn't a way to collapse the entire tree of views. Clicking the minus sign next to the group of views will work just fine and actually has some benefits. When you re-expand the category it remembers which sub-sections were also expanded. The Family category of the project browser is where I have found this to be the most useful.

You can also group your views differently by going to Settings->Browser Organization and changing your options there. I haven't messed with this much so I am unsure of its functionality and benefits.

As a project moves into CD's, we usually change the project browser to display only views that are not placed on sheets. That makes it easy to see what views, if any, we have but don't have on a sheet yet.

Individual views are still easily accessed by expanding the sheet near the bottom of the browser. You can also change the browser to group views by discipline, by phase, etc.

Archman
2005-08-09, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys. I am aware that when you press the minus sign and then re-expand the list it remembers. That is useful at times. However, from time to time I just like to reset the list to all collapsed just to have a fresh start for a fresh day if you know what I mean.

We also change the project browser filter to show all views not on sheets when we get further into CD's. In fact it's how I have this project set up now.

This isn't a big deal for me, it was just a feature I kind of expected and it wasn't there.

D.Williams
2005-09-20, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys. I am aware that when you press the minus sign and then re-expand the list it remembers. That is useful at times. However, from time to time I just like to reset the list to all collapsed just to have a fresh start for a fresh day if you know what I mean.

We also change the project browser filter to show all views not on sheets when we get further into CD's. In fact it's how I have this project set up now.

This isn't a big deal for me, it was just a feature I kind of expected and it wasn't there.

just ran across this thread while searching for something else...

You can indeed get this "fresh start" very easily by changing the project browser filter from one style to another and then back to your original setting. Two seconds.

Doug

Wes Macaulay
2005-09-20, 06:28 PM
just ran across this thread while searching for something else...

You can indeed get this "fresh start" very easily by changing the project browser filter from one style to another and then back to your original setting. Two seconds.

DougEh... this doesn't work. Unless I'm missing something?

Wes Macaulay
2005-09-20, 06:29 PM
Ah... you have to use a view of the Browser that employs a filter! Then it collapses all but the first level of folders.

Cool tip!

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-09-20, 08:22 PM
Press To
END Display the bottom of the active window.
HOME Display the top of the active window.
NUM LOCK+ASTERISK on numeric keypad (*) Display all subfolders under the selected folder.
NUM LOCK+PLUS SIGN on numeric keypad (+) Display the contents of the selected folder.
NUM LOCK+MINUS SIGN on numeric keypad (-) Collapse the selected folder.
LEFT ARROW Collapse current selection if it's expanded, or select parent folder.
RIGHT ARROW Display current selection if it's collapsed, or select first subfolder.

Courtesy of windows keyboard shortcuts

ita
2005-09-20, 10:13 PM
Zeds, thanks for the reminder. :idea: This should be added to the shortcuts list.

John K.
2007-01-11, 05:06 PM
Why not just close the window when you don't need it? Absolutely. I hit F2 to toggle it on and off. -- I think I pulled that from this thread. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=50716&highlight=shortcut+strategy)

jk

tonyisenhoff
2007-01-11, 07:06 PM
Ah... you have to use a view of the Browser that employs a filter! Then it collapses all but the first level of folders.

Cool tip!
Nice one... That will come in handy.