PDA

View Full Version : Achieving this complex geometry

kafka
2004-02-02, 06:21 AM
Hi all,
I'd like to know on your opinion if is it possible with Revit 3d modeller to succeed in modelling this geometry I've done with Rhinoceros...the most difficult is the blue colores "wall" .... in fact all the other shoulbe simple rail extrusion... but the blue one si a rail extrusione with a change of a cross section profile; they two suare of different dimensions one is bigger...
take a look and let me know if is it possible ...

cheers

Giulio

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-02-02, 06:45 AM
Giulio,
These forms are very easy to achieve in Revit. As you suggested most are simple extrusions, or sweeps along a path. The blue ones, which change profile from one end to the other, can be modelled using blends.
I honestly think people new to Revit, or those who are endlessly looking to 'expose' its limitations are far too concerned about the fact that Gehryish forms (read that as you want) are seemingly not attainable.
If they take the time to really explore the software they will find that Revit has the ability to model almost any form. Not only will it be modelled, but modelled intelligently with properties and behaviours appropriate to the real world construction.
I don't believe that 99% of the people who would use a package such as Revit (those in architecture, for whom the product was designed) require the ability to create the type of geometry everyone seems to want to use as the measure of the products quality.
Without getting into an argument about architectural expression, or design freedom, just because software allows us to create these types of forms, does it mean we should?
I hope I'm not coming across as defensive (or offesive for that matter) but these discussions and questions never seem to go away regardless of how many models of Le Corbusier's chapel at Ronchamp are created and put out there for all to see how much Revit can do.

<rant mode off>

sohocad
2004-02-02, 12:14 PM
Hope this will satify u

kafka
2004-02-02, 06:47 PM
fantastic....can you explain the way to do it (I mean the blend union along a non linear path)? Then in the view2.jpg is possible to put at different height the two profiles..? The smaller should be put at the ground level, instead the bigger on should be at +5 meters up the ground!

Did you use specific family components, or just the mass volume tools?

Thank You

Giulio

sohocad
2004-02-03, 09:16 AM
It was a very simple process which Dimitri have mention with using combination of blend and extrusion.

If you send me your email I can you the file to play with...it is too big to be upload...