PDA

View Full Version : Curtain wall location line

Max Lloyd
2005-08-10, 09:22 AM
Hi Guys.

I'm getting more and more into curtain walls as I realise some of their fantastic potential. However, I can't seem to work out how to change the relationship of the panels to the location line.

In other words, draw the wall in plan using say 'curtain wall'. The glass panels are then shown offset to the location line drawn, but I can't see any way of changing what this distance is.

I have attached a file which highlights the problem further. I have drawn a regular external wall using 'core face external' as the original location line. I have then split the wall in 3 and changed the centre piece to being a 'curtain wall' type. Due to the original location line, the curtain wall panel now appears 'outside' of my wall. i would like to bring it back in by say 150mm so its within the walls either side of it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Max.

roy.70844
2005-08-10, 09:51 AM
The offset of the panel is a property of the panel family and not the curtain wall.
So... Select a panel, edit its properties click the edit/new button and there you will find the offset.

Mullions also have the same offset property but defaults to zero. You can therefore control the position of the panel and the mullion relative to the picked points of the curtain wall as the datum (curtain walls do not have a loc line).

You can simply move the offending curtain wall but remember to disjoin the curtain wall from the other walls. Pick the curtain wall then right-click on the blue dot at the end of the wall, from the menu pick disallow join. Do this for each end. You can now move the wall.

Roy

Max Lloyd
2005-08-10, 10:32 AM
I noticed the offset parameter within the panel after I posted. I prefer your second solution however, saves a load of playing around with offsets for each individual panel, each individual mullion.

Thanks very much for your help.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-10, 11:25 AM
Better yet do it in your template file, then it will never bug you again.

mfanucs
2005-08-10, 01:30 PM
Hi Roy

Thanks for the great tip on right clicking the blue dot to disallow joins!!

Wish they had taught me that on the training course - would have saved me a lot of trouble getting rid of those damn 'sticky' curtain walls and walls

Like Max I'm also discovering the beauty of curtain walls - but i have recently come across a small problem that I was wondering if anyone could help me with.

We have started nesting detail components into our mullion profiles - BLOODY BRILLIANT!! but here comes the problem - it seems that the original direction in which you drew the curtain wall is important for how the nested details display - in instances where curtain walls were mirrored the nested details show up mirrored - I have had to 'un-mirror' the walls and rotate them 180 degrees to get the details showing correctly

Any ideas?
Should I avoid mirroring curtain walls in future?

Ciao
Marco

patricks
2005-08-10, 04:17 PM
Here's a question concerning those offset curtain wall panels:

Is there a way to control what panel the curtain wall uses by default when you draw it? When I draw alum. storefronts on the interior of a building, I usually show the glass in the center. I will duplicate the original glazed panel and make the offset be zero. Is there a way to be able to draw the curtain wall and have it use that zero-offset panel by default, so I don't have to change the panel every time I draw a curtain wall?

nj_lockwood
2005-08-10, 04:57 PM
Hi Patrick -
In version 8.1, there is a curtain wall/sloped glazing/curtain system type property that allows the user to control what panel type is used in curtain thingies of that type.

Similar controls in type are provided for mullions and the mullion join condition.

roy.70844
2005-08-11, 02:22 PM
Here's a question concerning those offset curtain wall panels:

Is there a way to control what panel the curtain wall uses by default when you draw it? .....

Now there's one for the wishlist!

raphael_paz519355
2016-05-17, 05:25 PM
Thanks for this post. It really helped me a lot, since I'm new to revit doing curtainwalls. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the great tip. It was really useful, since I'm new to revit doing curtainwalls. :)

Rap