PDA

View Full Version : Joist Visibility Issue

david.kingham
2005-08-10, 03:15 PM
My joists wont show up, the beams are -7" and the joists are -4.5" the view depth is set to -3' if i put the joist at 0 it shows up. I don't get it.....

aggockel50321
2005-08-10, 07:18 PM
Possible solutions:

Take a look at a 3d view, section, or elevation, and see where the joists are, compared to your view range settings.

Try changing the view detail settings from course to medium or fine. The joist family might be set up to only show the joists at higher detail level settings.

Open the joist family and see what's representing the joist in a plan view. If it's the solids, check to see in what views it can appear in.

david.kingham
2005-08-10, 07:24 PM
Thanks but I tried all that :( They show up fine if i put their elevation at zero or above. Doesn't matter what the detail level is set to....

Scott Hopkins
2005-08-10, 10:27 PM
You could rebuild the joist family using the beam family as a base You already know that the beam family show up so correctly in plan, so adjust it to work as a joist and rename it.

If all else fails you could do a plan region around each portion of the joists.

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-11, 12:28 AM
...the view depth is set to -3' if i put the joist at 0 it shows up...What is the bottom of the primary range set to? the level? I think you need to drop it down enough so it will cut through the beam too...

david.kingham
2005-08-11, 01:57 PM
The bottom is set to -1' , I dropped the cut plane down to -6" and now they show up....I guess they have to be cut to show up

sbrown
2005-08-11, 02:13 PM
Did you try the old invisible line trick? add an invisible model line in the family that extends up, this use to work on all families that you wanted to see the lines even if you werent cut through.

david.kingham
2005-08-11, 02:18 PM
Good idea, but the invisible line changes the elevation of the joist, so if i put in a line that extends up 2' the joist drops down 2' but the elevation in properties is the same