PDA

View Full Version : NURBS & 8.1?

truevis
2005-08-10, 06:40 PM
I would think this new massing/NURBS feature in 8.1 would be useful for things like in this .MAX model:
http://www.complete-support.com/static/VIZ/Release+2/1322-Constructing+a+Radial+Tent+with+NURBS.html

Any ideas on how to convert those fabric surfaces (or any other NURBS) into Revit roofs?

I tried converting the .MAX file to DWG some different ways, & I get a mesh for the fabric bits.

Importing the DWG (just one mesh) into a mass, then doing 'Roof by face' gives me "The selected faces contain both upward and downward pointing faces. Only the upward pointing faces were used." and a really bad result.

Advice appreciated.

aaronrumple
2005-08-10, 07:04 PM
Sounds like you'll need to set the normals to all face the same direction before importing.

patricks
2005-08-10, 08:40 PM
Well I created that type of roof pretty easily with an in-place roof defined by a solid sweep. I set the outer perimeter as the sweep path, and then drew a curved profile up towards the middle. The actual solid geometry is only 1/4" thick (profile shape is 1/4" wide in section).

The only thing is the top cannot come to an exact point, or it will generate a serious error.

truevis
2005-08-10, 09:42 PM
Well I created that type of roof pretty easily with an in-place roof defined by a solid sweep. I set the outer perimeter as the sweep path, and then drew a curved profile up towards the middle. The actual solid geometry is only 1/4" thick (profile shape is 1/4" wide in section).

The only thing is the top cannot come to an exact point, or it will generate a serious error.
Something like that might do in this case. However, my point is really: how can we use the new NURBS importing feature in Revit 8.1?

Notice that the plan view of those shapes (http://www.complete-support.com/img/132224.jpg)is not square.

aaronrumple
2005-08-10, 10:26 PM
I gave it a spin and the issue is that when you go from Viz/Max to DWG - you no longer have nurbs. You end up with faces. I have't had a chance to play much, but I'm guessing the results will be much better if you could get the *.max file to *.sat and import that to Revit.

truevis
2005-08-10, 10:39 PM
I gave it a spin and the issue is that when you go from Viz/Max to DWG - you no longer have nurbs. You end up with faces. I have't had a chance to play much, but I'm guessing the results will be much better if you could get the *.max file to *.sat and import that to Revit.I don't believe Max/Viz has .sat export. Correct: If you export to DWG, you get meshes (I tried via 3DSin, too). Even then, .sat probably has to be solids, not just surfaces.

Inventor or SolidWorks, anyone?

aaronrumple
2005-08-10, 10:45 PM
I don't believe Max/Viz has .sat export. Correct: If you export to DWG, you get meshes (I tried via 3DSin, too). Even then, .sat probably has to be solids, not just surfaces.

Inventor or SolidWorks, anyone?
There may be a plug-in for Max to export a *.sat file. Haven't had a chance to look.

Arnel Aguel
2005-08-11, 01:46 AM
That type of model can be easily done in Revit but i do agree that Revit still lack the power for free form modeling. NURBS import is one of the options for greater flexibility in designing freeform structures if that problem will be ironed out then Revit kick ***.

truevis
2005-08-13, 05:11 AM
That type of model can be easily done in Revit but i do agree that Revit still lack the power for free form modeling. NURBS import is one of the options for greater flexibility in designing freeform structures if that problem will be ironed out then Revit kick ***.
Sweet. And the trick to make those fabric shapes directly in Revit is...?

Arnel Aguel
2005-08-13, 05:27 AM
Sweet. And the trick to make those fabric shapes directly in Revit is...?

They are just simple sweep along a square or rectangular path but the profile at the center of the tent should have a small gap as mentioned by Patrick otherwise it will give you an error then create a cut out curve void at the perimeter.