PDA

View Full Version : Section vs Elevation

minka10
2005-08-11, 12:07 AM
Stupid Question:
What is the difference between sections and elevations?
I lined up the section line and elevation symbol inside the building.
They both seem to cut thru the floors and show exactly the same section/elevation.
Is the only difference in symbol?

aaronrumple
2005-08-11, 12:23 AM
You can step a section. Elevations are a flat plane.
Sections have greater visibility control. Elevations suck.
Sections have one view per graphic. Elevations can have several views per graphic.
Sections always have a tail. Elevations do not.
The sections head can be customized. the elevation symbol can't.
They are both sorted differently in the browser.

Some people do use section symbols in place of elevation symbols.

minka10
2005-08-11, 04:32 PM
Hi Aaron,

Thank you very much for your help.

bpayne
2005-08-11, 05:13 PM
Note: If the cut plane of your elevation symbol (the blue line) is not clearly outside of your building, your elevation will apear as if it is a section.

Scott D Davis
2005-08-11, 06:32 PM
and to get the blue 'elevation plane' and the clipping planes, click on the triangular head of the elevation symbol.

Nevine
2005-08-11, 07:57 PM
- You can duplicate a section view but you cannot duplicate an elevation view. (you will need to add another elevation tag to do so and I am still not sure why)
- You can change the Elevation Tag from square to round. I use the square for exterior elevation and the round for interior elevation and name the views accordingly so they get sorted this way in my browser.

rod.74246
2005-08-12, 08:33 AM
What you seem to be describing is an issue i have noticed in elevations. I am guessing you are talking about elevations you have dumped within a room here?

I have notcied that when you create a Project from scratch and dump an elevation tag in a room, it will crop itself to the floor, ceiling and bounding walls creating a proper internal elevation virew. A section will cut through the entire building in the same place.

However if you have cut and pasted the Project from one file to another and dump an elevation within a room the crop boundaries of the elevation then are pretty well the same as the section view. It is really annoying