PDA

View Full Version : AEC Details and Revit for Structural Engineering

mmcneil1876
2004-02-02, 05:53 PM
I have downloaded the demo version of Revit, however everything is still new to me. My office is considering upgrading to Revit rather than ADT. However, I have concerns dealing with our structural details. We are currently running Softdesk 8 with Autocad 14. This setup works great for our drawings, however we feel it's time to upgrade and remain compatible with our clients. I am worried that Revit will not allow us to generate the structural details that are required for our projects. More specific, structural sections that contain what we currently use from Softdesk 8 (AEC Details). Stuff like fasteners, different types of CMU block, concrete reinforcing, different types of metal deck, etc. These items make up about 85 percent of our drawings and most are not typical items that can be copied from project to project... requiring new sections and details for each project. In Revit I've found the basics (beams, columns, etc.), however I don't see anything that's similar to the AEC Details. Does anyone have advice, comments, or suggestions regarding this? I want to be confident that Revit will perform to our standards and create the structural sections and details we need.

Thanks for the help!

JamesVan
2004-02-02, 06:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find alot of helpful topics and opinions here.

Revit already has a wealth of components available in it's content library including steel shapes, metal deck, CMU, etc. (Make sure you look under the Detail Components folder. These are the 2D detailing items.)

If you haven't done so already, go through the tutorials (Help-Tutorials) under the content topic of "Detailing". They will show you various ways of generating details in the Revit environment. As many of my colleagues here will agree, you may find it more intuitive to draft details in Revit than in Autocad.

For additional content, you can also visit:
http://www.rugi.org
http://www.revitcity.com

gregcashen
2004-02-02, 06:41 PM
Additionally, you will be able to create custom detail component families (like blocks) that you can use to match your standards. Anything that can be detailed in Acad can be done in Revit. It's just done differently. Check out the tutorials.

Steven Campbell
2004-02-02, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have advice, comments, or suggestions regarding this? I want to be confident that Revit will perform to our standards and create the structural sections and details we need.
Thanks for the help!
Request them, the more requests the better change they will get made...