PDA

View Full Version : Future Work Dilemma

Allen Lacy
2005-08-11, 04:13 PM
I have Construction Docs about 75% complete on a two store project, but due to "value engineering" the second floor interior work will not be built now. I don't want to lose room information, interior elevations, etc., but I need to show it as future on plans and schedules.

Would phasing or design options be the best solution (I haven't used design options yet)?

iru69
2005-08-11, 04:23 PM
I'd suggest Phases if you want to "hide" the future work. Just move whatever is part of the future phase to a new Phase (e.g. Phase 2). The problem I've had is that their's no filters for future work, so if you want to show the future phase "ghosted in" or something like that - I think you're out of luck with Phases.

I don't think Design Options is the best way to go. Design Options are really cool for showing multiple design ideas within the same project (without the problems of trying to Link files together), but I don't think they're appropriate for this.

How about Worksets? You could put future work on a separate Workset, and you get a lot of visibility controls along with it.

Scott Hopkins
2005-08-11, 04:36 PM
Phasing is the way to go. I think you should be able to create a new phase filter to show future work.

Tom Dorner
2005-08-11, 04:41 PM
I had this situation come up at the last minute on a project. Phases and or worksets would have worked, but due to a time crunch I made an archive copy of the project for safe keeping, then used the demolish tool on all the non-built items which turns them to "temporary" as they were created and then demolished in the same phase.

It worked fine for me, so it may be an option for you as well.

HTH

Tom

iru69
2005-08-11, 05:22 PM
I think you should be able to create a new phase filter to show future work.
Actually, I'm not so sure that's as easy (or at least as intuitive) as it sounds - I'd be interested to know what solution you can come up with.

You can create a "Phase 1" followed by a "Phase 2", but if your View Properties are set to "Phase I", then "Phase 2" is not going to show up under any filter except for "none". There is no "future" in the phase filter/overrides as far as I can tell. This is all fine as long as you don't want to see Phase 2 while still in Phase 1.

You can switch your View Properties to "Phase 2", but then your Phase 1 turns to "Existing", since it's in the past.

What you can't do is be in Phase 1 and see Phase 2 as "future" work - I believe this is a known limitation of Revit - but if someone knows differently, I'm all ears.

The only thing I can think of (using Phases), and this is very counterintuitive, is to make Phase 2 proceed Phase 1 - then you could use the "Existing" filter to "filter" Phase 2. Of course, this would only work if it it was all new construction and there was no Existing building.

jbalding48677
2005-08-11, 05:39 PM
We should almost add a poll, but then again it would be 100% Phasing ;). This is exactly what phasing is good at.

Tom Dorner
2005-08-11, 06:46 PM
I agree with Jim that phasing is the solution, but what I think is needed is the ability to look into the future with phase filters rather than having to be in the future looking to the past.

Tom

Allen Lacy
2005-08-11, 10:09 PM
I had this situation come up at the last minute on a project. Phases and or worksets would have worked, but due to a time crunch I made an archive copy of the project for safe keeping, then used the demolish tool on all the non-built items which turns them to "temporary" as they were created and then demolished in the same phase.

It worked fine for me, so it may be an option for you as well.

HTH

Tom Thanks everyone, that was my thought too, I've done it that way before (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3480). I was afraid that I could lose room names, numbers, finishes, etc. The info stays, Revit just creates error messages when walls are created and demolished in the same phase and room tags are already in place.

Tom Dorner
2005-08-11, 11:03 PM
Allen,

I knew I learned that trick from someone...guess it was you!!

Seems like forever ago in my Revit experience (April 2004)

Thanks,

Tom