PDA

View Full Version : Working with Building Systems

sfaust
2005-08-11, 06:25 PM
Our mechanical engineer recently switched to ABS (Autodesk Building Systems) and I am wondering the best way to work with them. So far we are just interfacing as we would with plain ACAD, but I know there must be a better way.

I have their 3D base file and am playing with trying to import it. So far, if I explode their drawing, it will come into Revit in 3D, but it's just faces and I can't run an interference check. I know I saw somewhere that there is a way to run interference checks with them, but I can't figure it out. Please direct me...

Thanks,

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-11, 07:03 PM
Get them to export their file as an SAT, and then bring the SAT file into Revit. You can run the interference check then.

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-11, 08:44 PM
Using the dwg they need to make sure that proxygraphics variable is set to 1 before they save and send you the file.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-11, 09:51 PM
We've had problems with what should be solids from ABS not importing - proxies on or not. I don't know if this is a general problem or if it's just us.

Even with the SAT files coming in Revit wasn't finding all the interferences. I didn't have time to pursue the matter...

Matt Brennan
2005-08-11, 10:17 PM
In Building systems 2006, a few steps must be made prior to exporting your HVAC, plumbing, electrical, ect to a SAT file. In order to do this, you must first use the “convert to 3d solids tool” which is found in the stock tool library. After converting your objects to 3d solids, you then may export them to a SAT file.
After import/linking this SAT file in to your Revit Building 8 project, you can only use it to view the SAT components. Like Wes said, you will not be able to run the interference check with them and the Revit modeling components. This is supposed to be improved and enhanced in the Revit Building 8.1 but time will tell us that.

One other quick comment; if you also look at the properties of the SAT file, they come under as an imported symbol. I am looking into this and will keep everyone posted with what I find out.

sfaust
2005-08-12, 06:50 PM
Ok, I gave that to our engineer, but he can't seem to find the stock tool catlog. Don't know if it matters, but they are on 2005, not 2006, is this something new in 2006? Could you please direct me to exactly where to find this or how to load it, etc?

thanks,
Steve

Matt Brennan
2005-08-12, 10:21 PM
Hey Steve

I believe this tool is in ABS 2005 but I will have to confirm that with you later. I will be in the office Monday morning so I will try to confirm this then. In the mean time the tool is called “convert AEC to 3D Solids”. If you have the time, do a search in the provided file for it otherwise I will let you know Monday sometime.

Take care Steve and enjoy the weekend….

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-14, 01:13 PM
What we were doing to get a solid regardless of which method was being used was to import the SAT/DWG geometry into an in-place family of the mechanical variety. That got us a solid as far as Revit was concerned.

Alex Page
2005-08-23, 08:24 PM
What about exporting to Building Systems.....can they use our 3d model to good purpose?

Matt Brennan
2005-08-23, 09:46 PM
You can export a dwg from a 3d view inside of Revit. This will give you a dwg that only contains 3d faces.

The question is, can you do an interference check inside of ABS 2006 using the exported 3d faces? That is something I will have to look in to.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-23, 10:10 PM
Part of the Revit-to-DWG options include whether you export solids or faces. Only in 3D views of course, and only when you enable this by entering the Options dialog... so ABS should be able to interference check the solids...