PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Multiple Buildings

Scott D Davis
2005-08-11, 11:22 PM
Anyone have suggestions on how I should detail 12 separate Revit Building files with the same details?

We would like to draw one set of details, and have all the 12 buildings reference it.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-12, 12:19 AM
What's the project? Could all 12 buildings be in one file?

Scott D Davis
2005-08-12, 01:19 AM
The 12 buildings are from 3 school sites. Some buildings (typical classroom building) are repeated from site to site)

Right now, all buildings are drawn in separate files. I was going to link them into 3 "Masters", one for each campus, and then do detail callouts from there. But then I still need to detail 3 times.

I guess they could all reside in one file, but then the titleblocks for three campuses wouldn't be correct. Plus i'd have to copy/paste all the buildings into one file, and each building is into CD's so I would need to get all the annotations/dims in the copy/paste. not fun.

If I could only link the files, and upon linking, all of the sheets and views in the indivuidual RVTs came along with all the annotation.....maybe in r9.0 (if they can get it done say in 2 weeks???) :mrgreen:

rod.74246
2005-08-12, 08:26 AM
Hmm we tried the cut and paste option on detail sections etc whilst using linked buildings. We set up the call outs on each different file and tried to cut and paste the details into the call out views. It worked fine esxcept for one big problem.

The BIG problem we got is that all our detail components with instance parameters reverted to their original base form graphically while keeping their properties reading what they were supposed to be,

For instance we had a detail component steel angle created with instance parameters so you could plug in the sizes to suit each detail. I think the base size in the original family was 75 x 75. We then used it across a number of details bit when copied and pasted, a 35x35 angle still said it was 35 x 35 in the properties but showed graphicallly as 75 x 75.

We ended up using type parameters everywhere for this reason.

Tom Weir
2005-08-12, 10:58 PM
Scott,
Did you ever consider making a family of detail reference bubbles that would not be referenced automatically. I know this probably is on the politically incorrect list for Revit but for expediencies sake you might want to consider it. They would be "dumb" references though. But if these are typical detail sheets it might not be a major deal. I got some started, if you want them let me know. I admit I have done this...

That way you could have a Revit file with just the details done once with "dumb" references added in each project.

Then for the different title sheets you could redefine the title sheet for each project, plot them, then redefine for the next project until all were plotted.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles