PDA

View Full Version : Door not cutting through walls

Griff
2004-02-03, 08:36 PM
I know I've read a thread on this but I can't find it.

I have an exist CMU wall, I'm facing the interior side of the CMU with a new wall consisting of Z furring and a gyp. board. When I place the new door, it cuts the opening in the new furring wall but doesn't cut through the exist. CMU wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Chad Smith
2004-02-03, 09:33 PM
I've been faced with this problem before too. I can understand that Revit objects won't interact with other objects on different phases, but there has to be some exceptions.
Putting a new door into an existing wall and not having the wall cut doesn't look right. i hope this gets fixed in the next release.

All objects that would normally cut openings in objects in the same phase should do the same for objects in previous phases.

gregcashen
2004-02-03, 09:39 PM
I thought that 6.0 automatically cut walls that were within 6 inches of the wall the door is placed in...someone...please...

tamas
2004-02-03, 09:54 PM
If you want the insert cut the other wall that is no more than 6" away, the two walls need to be joined using the Tools->Join Geometry command.

However, the door frame will still be as wide as its host, not the combined width. This is an open issue for a future version.

Chad Smith
2004-02-03, 10:30 PM
Tamas,

But what about new objects cutting openings in existing objects?

Allen Lacy
2004-02-03, 10:39 PM
Placing a new door in an existing wall should cut the door opening in the exising wall. Have you looked into the phase filters for that view. If you show previous & new, it should show door and opening in old wall.

beegee
2004-02-03, 10:43 PM
Chad,

If you join geometry, as Tamas mentioned, the door will cut both new and existing , but the frame will only extend to the host wall.

Alternatively, just cut the new door into the new wall and split and demolish the existing wall portion, as would be done in the real world.