PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning?

m_r_meza
2005-08-15, 09:53 PM
Any advice on how to dimension arched openings. I am particularly referring to the arch, and height of the opening, I am aware that the width can be dimensioned in plan view.

BWG
2005-08-15, 10:40 PM
Any advice on how to dimension arched openings. I am particularly referring to the arch, and height of the opening, I am aware that the width can be dimensioned in plan view.

If you are using the arched openings that come with Revit, you can dimension by choosing the base ref. line, and then the shoulder of the arch will have a ref., then the top will have a ref. Pick all three in sequence then place. As shown below. You can also have a radii dim. If you created your own arched opening, you will need these ref. planes in your family.

stuntmonkee
2005-08-15, 11:47 PM
That works for smaller arcs, but when they are significantly larger, then it can be difficult. The other problem that we run into is that we dont always want to draw an elevation of each archway. . .so, we schedule our archways. Either by type, or each instance depending on how repetitive they are. then you can show a symbol on your rcp.

You wont be able to "tag" the arch per-say, so they will just have to be scheduled symbols, but thats how we handle the issue.

not completly revit-like, but atleast you can get the schedule to generate from that.

BWG
2005-08-16, 01:50 PM
That works for smaller arcs, but when they are significantly larger, then it can be difficult. The other problem that we run into is that we dont always want to draw an elevation of each archway. . .so, we schedule our archways. Either by type, or each instance depending on how repetitive they are. then you can show a symbol on your rcp.

You wont be able to "tag" the arch per-say, so they will just have to be scheduled symbols, but thats how we handle the issue.

not completly revit-like, but atleast you can get the schedule to generate from that.

The size of the Arch shouldn't matter if you have ref. planes where you want it to be dimensioned from in the opening family. We also tag our arches in the floor plans. Shows the width and height. Then we have a typical arch detail for each shoulder height that we might have if they are different. We use the same arch shoulder height, so it never really changes, but if and when it does, we will include more information in the tag.

Chirag Mistry
2005-08-16, 02:33 PM
Well I am not sure if this will help your cause, but we have a curved wall in the building whose center point is like 300' outside the property, so to dimension this we created temp. dimension point and gave them horizontal and vertical dimensions to that point and it worked.

afejarang-herrera
2008-06-26, 05:31 PM
Has anyone come up w/a arc dimensioning technique w/o a center point? I recall the old Surveyor dwgs that used chord length and angle or something like that in a "table" form and it worked great to CREATE the arch in Autocad so I wonder what the recipe for backing such info out to use on my const. docs...as a center point in a large(bldg) arch is not feasible nor would I expect a field guy to actually go into (a neighbor) building etc. to find said point...

anyone remember?