PDA

View Full Version : On Sweeping Arched Openings

BillyGrey
2005-08-17, 12:08 AM
I seem to have a great deal of difficulty creating in-place sweeps around arched openings.
I would like to solicit members to add any methods they may have used to successfully
create these common elements. Ultimately, I want to model decorative precast concrete
trim elements.

My attached example is a real head scratcher. On one opening, the sweep worked fine after much tweaking, but on a different shaped opening, I can't get the tool to model it at all without resorting to cobbling pieces of sweeps together. This goes for arched openings in general.

I usually just pick a path, and then draw the simple profile.

Thanks!!!

BillyGrey

sjsl
2005-08-17, 03:52 AM
The later, I usually just use sweeps and leave the modelling to simple lines.

sbrown
2005-08-17, 01:08 PM
I do the second image(the one on the right with a family that has an opening in it with the arch shape just as you have drawn, then pick the path for the sweep and it works and adjusts flawlessly. I'm not sure why yours looks that way. Looks like you are building 2 sep sweeps? I'm attaching an example. Note sometimes I use openings if it is all the way thru the wall, other times voids. For your example with the window, you could do a couple things,

1. build it(or nest it) in the window family itself(what I would likely do)
2. create it as just a trim family, add it to your model, then embed a smaller wall in the opening for your window.

Note I have had some issues with profiles with radius's not wanting to sweep around a certain path shape, If you run into that we should send it in to revit so they can figure out why its failing. This path doesn't cause an overlap so it shouldn't fail for you.

Hope this helps you.

BillyGrey
2005-08-17, 05:20 PM
Thank for the prescription Scott,

On the shouldered arch, that particular profile gave me the dreaded "could not create sweep" so yes,
I had to resort to piecing together the profile. That is my dilemma, it seems there are times when
profiles just don't work, esp. on arches, and usually, my sweep geometry seems simple enough. As you can see, I used the same profile sweep on both elements. One works, the other not...
Kinda frustrating.

Thanks Matey,

Bill

sbrown
2005-08-17, 05:52 PM
post the profile please. I have good success at getting them to work. Typically I can get it to be done in 2 pieces or you square it off and then load a detail component for the actual profile you show in your sections. Note you can nest the detail component into the profile family that way you get the look you want in elevation and section.

BillyGrey
2005-08-20, 03:52 PM
Hi Scott,

I've been very busy, same as it ever was...

Anyway, I've attached a file that duplicates my problem.
I've extruded a wall solid trim element, and included the profile of
the sweep I am attempting. You can see it in plan view level 1, next
to one of the vert. legs.

Thanks for your help on this Scott.

Bill