PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Joints

bpayne
2005-08-17, 06:24 PM
I need a quick brainstorm from everyone.

I'm trying to layout a gamplan for how to model building expansion joints, both interior/exterior and floor/walls & ceilings.

I have a couple of ideas, but nothing is sounding quite right.

A. Just create a series of profiles for each type and size and use them for generic inplace sweeps.
Problem: User unfriendly for the rest of the office!

or....

B. Create hosted families for each type and family types for size.
Problem: By thier very nature expansion joints are just that ....joints! (It exists between two walls)

Any ideas?

aaronrumple
2005-08-17, 06:39 PM
I just draw a model line on the surface.

bpayne
2005-08-17, 06:47 PM
I could see that working for some exterior 2d joints, but in interior 3d views you would have open gaps in your walls floors and ceilings.

aaronrumple
2005-08-17, 07:27 PM
Na.

Model lines work great. See attached.

bpayne
2005-08-18, 12:18 AM
Here is a quick test I did using sweeps. One problem I have noticed is the graphic display of the expansion joint when cut in plan.

Aaron thanks fot the tip, but it is really important to be able to accurately display the expansion gap. I couldn't imagine us using model lines to show a 12" joint between buildings.

Archman
2005-08-18, 12:33 AM
This seems to be a classic example of what to model and what not to model. My personal rule of thumb: If it is going to be seen in multiple views and needs to be coordinated between those views, model it. If it's only seen in one view, show it as detail lines and components in that view.

Of course if your doing a rendered 3d scene and you need to see the the joint cover assembly, then maybe modeling it is the way to go. But, even in that case, you can use split surface and a custom material which may get you what you want to see in the rendering.