PDA

View Full Version : Slab Edge for sloped floor

E-Key
2005-08-17, 08:11 PM
Hi all!
I'm trying to create a curb for sloped floor as Slab Edge. It's OK for lines along and perpendicular the slope, but what to do with segment with other angle in plan? Revit can't create a Slab Edge for its?

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-17, 08:24 PM
An in-place family may be what you need to do here... Modeling > Create

E-Key
2005-08-17, 08:29 PM
An in-place family may be what you need to do here... Modeling > Create Thanks. It's a good way.
What do you think about Slope Edge in that case? May be it must become a little bit smarter? :)

gravelin
2005-08-17, 09:23 PM
Just a "funny" thing.
Try this :
make the floor without slope.
place the slab edge
edit the floor and add the slope arrow in the sketch.

The slab edges remain in place :-o :D
But they can't join anymore:(

E-Key
2005-08-18, 12:33 PM
Just a "funny" thing.
Try this :
make the floor without slope.
place the slab edge
edit the floor and add the slope arrow in the sketch.

The slab edges remain in place
Great idea!

But they can't join anymore
And it doesn't work for arc segments :(:(:(

Xenon1
2005-08-18, 02:36 PM
I have also come up against this problem, where any arc that had a floor slab edge on it just disappears, and becomes un-editable. :( I have ended up splitting the floor slabs, and putting anything with a arc "flat".

I'm not all that knowledgeable about in-place family yet... not sure how they work. Anyone have any good links or tutorials about them?

gravelin
2005-08-18, 03:47 PM
And it doesn't work for arc segments :(:(:(
This is the reason why I use Ramps and railings to do this.
look at http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24324

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-18, 03:49 PM
In-place families are created using the Create command (Modeling > Create). It's basically a door to modeling anything you want with solids and voids. It's not hard! Some things to note:

If you create a void before (chronologically) a solid in the same volume, the solid isn't cut. Then you'll need to use the Cut Geometry tool to get the void to cut the solid.

Extrudes are basic - no explanation needed!

The sweep's cross sectional profile is created on the first segment of the sweep path; sweep paths can be drawn in the family using model lines or reference lines, or you can pick the edges of other objects (like the slab) when creating the sweep path.

Blends allow for some cool geometry but at this time are only one linear segment.

Hope this gets you going...

Xenon1
2005-08-18, 06:57 PM
In-place families are created using the Create command (Modeling > Create). It's basically a door to modeling anything you want with solids and voids. It's not hard! Some things to note:

If you create a void before (chronologically) a solid in the same volume, the solid isn't cut. Then you'll need to use the Cut Geometry tool to get the void to cut the solid.

Extrudes are basic - no explanation needed!

The sweep's cross sectional profile is created on the first segment of the sweep path; sweep paths can be drawn in the family using model lines or reference lines, or you can pick the edges of other objects (like the slab) when creating the sweep path.

Blends allow for some cool geometry but at this time are only one linear segment.

Hope this gets you going...

Thanks Wes for the introduction In-place families ;) - basically if I modelled a arced curb, I would have to model another if my second arc was different? Basically what I'm asking - are these in-place families static models?

E-Key
2005-08-18, 07:08 PM
This is the reason why I use Ramps and railings to do this.
Great solution!
And I need not only the correct 3D model. I have the second aim - to get a specification of floor types.

E-Key
2005-08-18, 07:19 PM
There is one problem of using sweep to create a curb on arc segment for sloped floor. Curb must be perpendicular to ground. But profile of sweep is perpendicular to sloped floor and doesn't coincide with horizontal segment of Slab Edge.

Rhythmick
2005-10-27, 03:32 PM
If you make the slab with the Roof tool instead of floor you will be able to use the Host Sweep / Facia Sweep tool on the sloped edges.