PDA

View Full Version : Revit 8 and 8.1 Crashing at Entry

Kevin Janik
2005-08-17, 10:15 PM
I just loaded an 8.0 demo disk, regular 8.0 and the new 8.1 version on an Alienware laptop and every time we try to open Revit it gets the blue screen and reboots the computer. It does open up past the splash screen and you see the program but the graphics of the tool bars is goofy and then it crashes before completely entering.

Any ideas? Looks like a graphics card issue. It has a (Multiple Monitors) NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1000 set to 1600 x 1024

Is that card fine for Revit?

Thanks for the help in advance

davidwlight
2005-08-17, 10:32 PM
The Graphics card & laptop should run Revit fine....have you checked that your drivers are up todate? Failing that...try uninstalling the drivers & running the machine with Revit in standard windows VGA mode, so that it is using the standard windows drivers, see if this sorts the problem. If it does, then check the nvidia drivers again to see if you have the most up todate. I have a Dell M60 laptop & actually found that older versions caused less problems than the newer versions. Hope this helps.

sbrown
2005-08-18, 12:17 AM
All you should need to do is disable hardware acceleration.

brussell
2005-08-18, 12:26 AM
Just a thought... Make sure you are running Microsoft DirectX 9.0b (or the latest version). In my experience, it fixes issues very similar to what you are experiencing. In addition to this, be sure you have the latest drivers and service packs installed on your system. Lastly, try going to Start Menu (Windows) > Run > Type in "dxdiag" without the quotes. This should run the DirectX utility from Microsoft that will report any issues with hardware, and give the dates and versions of all of your drivers. Hope this helps...

Regards,
Brian

m.thomas
2005-08-18, 12:33 PM
Are you running windowblinds or another shell instead of the standard windows shell ?
Running Revit with windowblinds always gave me blue screens, so I un-installed window blinds.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-18, 01:44 PM
If it does, then check the nvidia drivers again to see if you have the most up todate. I have a Dell M60 laptop & actually found that older versions caused less problems than the newer versions. Hope this helps.That's true. On my new Dell laptop only the OLDEST drivers would work. On my new workstation with an ATI PCI Express FireGL card, the NEWEST drivers work best :screwy:

janunson
2005-08-18, 02:51 PM
Also don't run the AlianGUIse program that Alienware provides... it's a shell modifyer that i found to be even worse than window blinds, and hard to be rid of.

Kevin Janik
2005-08-19, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the help! We will look at all these things today. I was out yesterday and could not look into these things. I will report back.

Kevin Janik
2005-08-19, 04:46 PM
The winnner is!!!!! Janunson

We turned off the AlienGUIse program and everything is fine.

Thanks so much for everyone's assistance!!!!! This is a great community of people that should be proud of themselves and their willingness and ability to help others succeed.

Kevin

davidwlight
2005-08-19, 10:57 PM
Glade you managed to get it sorted :)