PDA

View Full Version : 8.1 Bonuses

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-19, 09:28 PM
You can rename top level family names. In 8.0 you couldn't, and if you wanted to change the top level name, you had to reload/recreate the family.

Thanks to those at the Factory who made this possible!

What are the rest of you finding?

Damo
2005-08-19, 11:08 PM
What are the rest of you finding?Finding it a long wait for our copy of 8.1 to be released over here. :sad:

aaronrumple
2005-08-19, 11:34 PM
So usefull, I don't even bother to save them before I load them. I just make the new family - load it and then name it and the family types right in the project. If later exported - it will then have the correct name.

Fred Blome
2005-08-19, 11:52 PM
You can rename top level family names. In 8.0 you couldn't, and if you wanted to change the top level name, you had to reload/recreate the family.

I was doing that all morning on a new project and it didn't even occur to me that is was a new function. Way easier.

As I look around I see lots of new buttons and menus I've never noticed before......but that happens to me even without a new release.

mmodernc
2005-08-20, 05:48 AM
Do shafts cut holes through sloping walls?
Do windows cut full surface area out of sloping walls?

D_Driver
2005-08-20, 06:04 AM
Still waiting for mine...
is there ever going to be a download?

gravelin
2005-08-20, 07:06 AM
You can rename top level family names. In 8.0 you couldn't, Wes,
In the french version 8 (build Autodesk Revit Building 8 - 20050620_2300)
it was already posssible by right clic on the family name in the browser. (is it what you meaned when you said top level famil name ?)

mtogni
2005-08-20, 09:29 AM
Yes, it was already possible in 8.0...

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-20, 01:00 PM
Yes, it was already possible in 8.0...It wasn't in the English version of 8.0... :screwy:

Edit: well, actually it was, but the project I checked it on must have had some old families in it or something, because it wouldn't work on a bunch of them. But I started a fresh 8.0 project and wouldyalookatthat.... so here's to learning a feature in your software that you didn't know was there until the next release :razz:

Archman
2005-08-20, 07:43 PM
Probably the most significant thing I've seen implemented in 8.1 is "transparent permissions". When borrowing an element, you no longer have to click "make element editable". It's done automatically, allowing a nearly seamless multiple user environment. Wonderful stuff.

Martin P
2005-08-20, 11:11 PM
Finding it a long wait for our copy of 8.1 to be released over here. :sad:

We are still using 7.0 here Damo!!....have installed 8.0 but not really got around to using it yet for a variety of reasons, not least for me is that the add on software I use all requires altered for me to use 8.0 (and now 8.1) Havent seen anything changed/added that really would make that much difference to me yet anyway.... - I dont use worksets, family loading thing in 8.0 nearlg tempted me, but I use drag and drop from custom toolbars in my windows task bar for loading families anyway (no mouse clicks!!).

It does seem wrong though that we all pay subscription and arent getting the release at the same time, I expect its down to metric families etc not being done yet?

rhys
2005-08-22, 08:47 AM
It does seem wrong though that we all pay subscription and arent getting the release at the same time, I expect its down to metric families etc not being done yet?
I thought the Canadians used metric Martin?.
Wes???

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-22, 02:33 PM
We use both systems all the time... it's not convenient, and we'd prefer metric (if only so all those A0, A1, etc paper sizes could be made standard)...

The metric families are done and have been since 8.1 was originally posted.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-22, 02:49 PM
EMEA doesn't sound like it's getting any.

rhys
2005-08-22, 02:49 PM
We use both systems all the time... it's not convenient, and we'd prefer metric (if only so all those A0, A1, etc paper sizes could be made standard)...

The metric families are done and have been since 8.1 was originally posted.
Exactly so perhaps a statement from Adesk would be approprate as to when the download will be restored.

philipnoland
2005-08-22, 09:14 PM
I have not loaded mine yet, but was wondering, can you place room tags in elevation?

Noland

david.kingham
2005-08-23, 02:23 PM
No you cannot

cadkiller
2005-08-25, 02:10 PM
Converting a sloped wall massing by face is a big one for me!

jpolding
2005-08-25, 02:26 PM
My number one is scheduling linked files! This is great for large multi-office projects.

Jit
2005-08-26, 12:12 AM
Please , please tell me that we DONT have to use the very time consuming line work tool on every elevation and section.

Please tell me that I can now have at least 3 default line weights (cut, near and far) generated by default in Revit.

gordie_v
2005-08-26, 02:24 AM
My number one is scheduling linked files! This is great for large multi-office projects.

Is anyone else having problems with this feature?
We use custom doors with a scheduled width parameter as instance instead of type
and it crashes whenever we try to link. we are currently reworking and adding one parameter at a time to see which one it does not like

Martin P
2005-08-26, 08:48 AM
Please , please tell me that we DONT have to use the very time consuming line work tool on every elevation and section.

Please tell me that I can now have at least 3 default line weights (cut, near and far) generated by default in Revit.

OK then - you dont have to use the linework tool on every every elevation and section ;)

but Revit still wont generate near and far for you either :)

Sorry I couldnt resist that.... But it would be a very nice addition, we just leave it as it is though..

jpolding
2005-08-26, 01:51 PM
Is anyone else having problems with this feature?
We use custom doors with a scheduled width parameter as instance instead of type
and it crashes whenever we try to link. we are currently reworking and adding one parameter at a time to see which one it does not like
Could you post the files in question?

peterjegan
2005-08-26, 10:25 PM
We also are crashing door and room finish schedules when including linked data. We also are adding things one at a time to determine what the problem is. No answer yet.

Also, our rooms are not consistently included in the parent scheule- doors seem fine.

Jit
2005-08-27, 07:57 AM
OK then - you dont have to use the linework tool on every every elevation and section ;)

but Revit still wont generate near and far for you either :)

Sorry I couldnt resist that.... But it would be a very nice addition, we just leave it as it is though..

Martin

We use the line work tool as a communication tool. Just as a matter of interest, DONT tell me you leave all views looking FLAT ??

Martin P
2005-08-27, 09:27 AM
We do :(...... I didnt do this in Autocad etc when drafting them. Shadows help, but slow things down. But it must be a terrible amount of work to do this manually? we just leave them as they are.

dhurtubise
2005-08-27, 10:35 AM
Have you tried Silouhette Edges ?

sbrown
2005-08-27, 05:30 PM
Martin, you need to use the lineweight overides for your elevations, I typically overide my roof and walls to line weight 5, then just use the linework tool to thin a few lines up. It depends on the elevation, if more is far away I overide to a lighter line, then use the linework to "pop" the stuff up front. I still do elevations last as they take the most time, but I can't complain about it since revit drafted them for me and all I have to do is touch them up.

All that said, some sort of depth control would be nice.