PDA

View Full Version : Underlay and elevator family

pfrederico
2005-08-20, 03:33 PM
Something's wrong with my family... or my project.

I have made an elevator family to use in my project. If I make an underlay of the level above, where the elevator is placed I get a mess of lines which I thought were from some imported dwg.

I tried to go to object styles and delete them. Didn't work.

I opened a new project, made a wall big enough for two levels, imported my elevator family and placed it on level 2. When I changed level 1 view range so it would underlay level 2 the elevator family would appear just fine. So, what's wrong in here???

Scott D Davis
2005-08-20, 03:47 PM
your elevator has geometry that is going through several cut planes. Level one, level 2, etc, depending on how tall it is. When any piece in the family is intersecting the cut plane, the rest of the geometry will show.

This goes back to the old trick for clerestory windows, of putting an invisible line in the family that extended down to the base level. Wehn ever the invisible line was cut by a cut plane, the window above would show.

pfrederico
2005-08-20, 04:50 PM
Call me stupid but I don't see how that is meant to solve my problem... can you make it any more clear?

Scott D Davis
2005-08-20, 05:10 PM
in the family, turn off the display of the 3D solids in plan, elevation, using the Visibility options in the properties of each solid. Then, in each view in the family, use symbolic lines to represent what you want to see in that view when loaded into the project.

in plan and underlays, you wont be seeing all the 3D geometry, only lines that represent the geometry.

bpayne
2005-08-20, 07:00 PM
SCOTT...IT'S SATURDAY....Go have fun!

pfrederico
2005-08-21, 02:59 AM
I had already done what you suggest, even before posting here. The lines showing up I'm sure they're from the DWG I imported and used to make my elevator family. The thing is they shouldn't show up in underlays and they do!

The (not so) funny thing is that this only happens in this specific project!