PDA

View Full Version : cut structural members

janunson
2005-08-22, 06:29 PM
I need to model in 3D a building that has exposed framing members w/ tapered ends (like glulam beams that extend to the exterior and have a the bottom corner cut off. I was able to modify the basic glulam that comes w/ revit, but it doesn't behave when the beam is rotated from the working plane (which i also need to do) Anyone have a good way to do this?

E-Key
2005-08-22, 08:27 PM
... I was able to modify the basic glulam that comes w/ revit, but it doesn't behave when the beam is rotated from the working plane
Could you place an example file into forum?

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-22, 08:52 PM
...but it doesn't behave when the beam is rotated from the working plane (which i also need to do) Anyone have a good way to do this?I assume you mean you want the beam to be able to be drawn on an angle when working in section... you need to use the Structural Framing - Beams and Braces template. This template allows you to draw up all the parts of your beam, and then draw the whole family on an angle in your project.

Like this -- this family was made in 8.1, BTW...

janunson
2005-08-22, 09:32 PM
Could you place an example file into forum?

Here's the one that doesn't work. I needed a toggle to turn off the chamfer on 1 end or the other. it works until the family parameter rotation is used.

This is based on the glulam from factory.

janunson
2005-08-23, 12:56 PM
Here's another try.. this time i made a componant that is the beam solid, and placed it in the beam family, problem here is that i can't seam to rotate it in section. I don't have the always vertical thingy checked, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Here's the next failed attempt.

Rhythmick
2005-08-23, 01:46 PM
Haven't install 8.1 yet so I can't pull up your last family.

Are you trying to angle the beam, - or the working plane the beam is attached to?

janunson
2005-08-24, 10:31 AM
Am i doing something wrong here? I have another family that also won't rotate in elevation when placed in another family. I have unchecked the "Always Vertical" property in the Family Category and parameters area... is there something else going on?

janunson
2005-08-26, 12:36 PM
appears that this last question i added to the thread is actually a wish. Apparently it cannot be done in Revit??!!??! this is hard for me to understand why! i don't have any views or lines defined in the symbol, i just have a solid shape that i want to rotate to any angle (3 Axes).

This is not an answer to the beam question that is parent, just the bolt question that i thought was related. I hope it is not. Still trying to get the beam thing working. Can anyone advise? I hope there's a way to do the beam!

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5576&highlight=rotate+family
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=505&highlight=rotate+family

E-Key
2005-08-26, 01:41 PM
I think that Revit developers consciously refused to use free 3D object manipulations, because a building is not the same as mechanical detail. All parts of buildings works in gravity field. Floors are horizontal and beams MUST be vertical. Structural engineer place beams below sloped slab vertically on various levels. If architect decide to rotate the beam from vertical position it’s not an ordinary solution, so it require unordinary Revit using.

It’s my understanding of Revit conception.

I’ve attached the sample of rotated beam in section plan. Hope I guess you need something like this.

janunson
2005-08-26, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the file, ekurbatov, but i think that revit IS and Should be able to handle rotated structural elements. While calculations are always done vertically (based on gravity) the profile of the shape doesn't have to be, and in my work it often isn't. Ironically though, in the design i need the ability to chamfer and roated beams for, the Beams ARE vertical, they're just part of a beam system that is slanted, so they must be rotated from their work plane in order to be vertical. So in essence, whether you have vertical structural members or not, this ability to rotate beams is still needed. I think i've found a solution though.. and will post it here if/when i have it working.
~jon.

PS. Its still true that all revit families appear to be unable to rotate in 3 dimensions. this makes no sense to me. that 3D bolt i posted above is a perfect example of something that would definitely need to be rotated in 3D. As a workaround i have 2 different bolts loaded in my project XY rotation and YZ rotation.

E-Key
2005-08-26, 04:32 PM
that 3D bolt i posted above is a perfect example of something that would definitely need to be rotated in 3D. As a workaround i have 2 different bolts loaded in my project XY rotation and YZ rotation.
A bolt can't live alone. It must be attached to some object. Making it as Wall based of Floor based family can solve the problem.

David Conant
2005-08-26, 04:48 PM
Use the family feature "Workplane Based".

Use any non-hosted family template. In Settings|Family Categories and Parameters, check "Work-Plan Based". Be sure to uncheck "Always Vertical"

In your project, you will be asked to select a workplane when placing instances, and the instance will orient to the selected plane

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-26, 04:59 PM
Am i doing something wrong here? I have another family that also won't rotate in elevation when placed in another family. I have unchecked the "Always Vertical" property in the Family Category and parameters area... is there something else going on?In addition to what David wrote you can also take advantage of Reference LINES, not planes. If you create your bolt geometry on the planes that these offer you can provide for flexible rotation, through the properties dialog. You can freely rotate the object in x/y and use the properties dialog for z rotation. Attached is a "quick and dirty" example. (8.1)

DDbyBobW
2005-08-26, 09:05 PM
In Revit Building 8.1 Beam Properties there is no way to apply Justification to the Beam which I believe would make this process work. I have used the Justification properties in Revit Structure to properly/easily allign Framing (Timbers). I am hopefull that Revit Building will have this soon.

Thank you,
Bob W

janunson
2005-08-29, 03:40 PM
finally i have a beam that i think gets me where i needed to go. this 3D rotation problem of Revit's makes this stuff far more dificult than it should be, though!

janunson
2005-08-29, 03:43 PM
A bolt can't live alone. It must be attached to some object. Making it as Wall based of Floor based family can solve the problem.

Interesting! Is there a family type that can be hosted by Structural members, or other family types? (I don't want to make my beams out of floors and/or walls)