PDA

View Full Version : Winder Stair

BWG
2005-08-22, 11:26 PM
Can Revit do this? I am sure it can, but I can't seem to get it to work. It keeps telling me that stairs require no more than 2 boundaries?. Everything is closed as far as I can tell.

I have the boundary lines split at the winder part so those two treads are separate on each side, so each run has it own boundary.

Matt Brennan
2005-08-22, 11:36 PM
Can you post the file Please?

BWG
2005-08-23, 12:12 AM
Can you post the file Please?

Well, I could, but it shouldn't matter because all the stair info will be gone.

blads
2005-08-23, 12:46 AM
Winders stairs can be done... although they're very tempermental... still give me grief even now...I haven't done ones quite like yours... but similar (see images)

SkiSouth
2005-08-23, 02:41 AM
Draw the stair as a "u" shape, leaving the landing the size you need. Select one of the treads and move the endpoints to where you need them.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-23, 06:03 AM
Bruce, I'm not sure why your winders weren't working, but if it's any consolation, winder stairs are tough. Revit mashes them -- check out the railings on the attached... they're all over the place!

One clue might be where you've broken the boundary lines. You need to do it any time the stringer is changing slope. But I get that boundary message from time to time, so sometimes I just start over again.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-23, 06:04 AM
...the stair attached above parrots the sketch from your screenshot BTW.

KarinZawrotny-wwa
2005-08-23, 12:17 PM
We have been using winders quite a bit on one of our projects. We found the simplest way was to draw the boundaries (I always think of that as where the stringer would be)... and then use the riser tool to draw in the risers. The last step is to make sure that the boundaries are 'broken' at the landings or the railings will continue to slope on past them. So far we have not had any problems - but we have also not yet customized the railings. (That's next!).
Hope this helps.

BWG
2005-08-23, 02:28 PM
I think it was one of the run lines in the center causing the problem, but I never got a chance to see if it fixed the problem. I tried moving a boundary by clicking and dragging and got the dreaded save as exit program message. It hasn't crashed yet - dreaded hourglass displaying, so I guess I am about to lose the entire file since I will probably have to restart. Seems like 8.1 is a little more buggy than 8.0 was.

BillyGrey
2005-08-23, 02:50 PM
"Save As & Exit" will not dump your work!

BWG
2005-08-23, 03:22 PM
"Save As & Exit" will not dump your work!

It doesn't always save it either. Several times it says it will save a recovery file just to find a 8 meg file being reduced to a 12 kb file that is useless. I did lose some work, filed an error with support with journal files and have since recreated the winder. I did figure out how to get it done by drawing boundaries, but now the stringer is not exactly correct, but I am sure I can get that fixed to now, hopefully.

Thanks,

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-23, 03:22 PM
I think it was one of the run lines in the center causing the problem, but I never got a chance to see if it fixed the problem. I tried moving a boundary by clicking and dragging and got the dreaded save as exit program message. It hasn't crashed yet - dreaded hourglass displaying, so I guess I am about to lose the entire file since I will probably have to restart. Seems like 8.1 is a little more buggy than 8.0 was.Ah - that is your problem there. I built up the stair manually using risers and boundaries. It's hard to build anything more than a straight run stair with the Run tool.

SkiSouth
2005-08-23, 03:26 PM
It's hard to build anything more than a straight run stair with the Run tool.

Oops. :smile: That's what I used to make the stair I posted.

Rhythmick
2005-08-23, 03:44 PM
Everything is closed as far as I can tell.You do not close the stringer boundries on the perpendicular ends, you just leave them as two sides. The line ends can then be dragged to extend or shorten the ends of the stringers.

BWG
2005-08-23, 07:05 PM
Ah - that is your problem there. I built up the stair manually using risers and boundaries. It's hard to build anything more than a straight run stair with the Run tool.

Yeah, the run tool seems a little sporadic when trying to draw any time stair with it.