PDA

View Full Version : Growing Problem with posts????

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-23, 08:03 AM
In the last 2-3 months I have found up to 8 posts on how to change a Tick Mark for Dims. IS THERE ANY WAY OF CONTROLLING THE SAME RUBBISH ROLLING OUT.
There is a "Search this Forum" button if no-one noticed. Try using it, you may be surprised by the results that come up.
I Really enjoy this forum and love the challenge of a new problem, or seeing new solutions that some of us would never have thought of. But when the same trivial problems are rolling out it kinda gets boring, or is that irritating.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-08-23, 12:11 PM
Zeds,
I remember one of my very first posts , I did not try the search forum but was promptly directed to by some of the more "experienced" augi users at that stage, so too were many of the "newbie" users.
There was then an entire thread on how nasty people were getting, etc etc.....

Possibly answers should not be given if there is a thread, simply a "search this thread" or "retry a search" or something to that effect.
This could possibly affect the political correctness of how things should be answered.

I Really enjoy this forum and love the challenge of a new problem, or seeing new solutions that some of us would never have thought of..
I also love logging on and sometimes trying to solve problems that I would not have normally encountered, however I have also noticed not to try and troubleshoot a problem as other users are just as eager as I am to answer these questions. I answered a simple question on one post as a first stage troubleshoot question. 5 other posts promptly followed and I received a bad post even before posting a second reply (Needless to say I was totally crushed http://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon10.gif)

it kinda gets boring, or is that irritating...
All in all I do feel that this forum is fantastic. It has been hugely beneficial to me learning Revit, I have my own filtering method of normally not opening posts if it has been a "repeat topic" as I am comfortable in the knowledge that someone would more than likely direct the person in the right direction.(Sometimes I kinda jump in if the person is totally ignored) This may make me a bit complacent, however My "Augi Experience" is more rewarding at the end of the day which lets me log on again.

There is a strange rewarding feeling of helping someone on their very first post, or solving something complex for a more "experienced" augi user.

This could be the reason that we keep coming back for morehttp://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

janunson
2005-08-23, 12:51 PM
There is a "Search this Forum" button if no-one noticed. Try using it, you may be surprised by the results that come up.

IMHO the search function sucks. Try it and you may be surprized by the results that DONT come up. I know i myself have posted many times about questions that i KNOW are in this forum. Some of them date back to zoog forum, but i thought all that was imported. Even posts that originated on AUGI... i'll search 3 or 4 times and get nothing, not even a similar. I'm not sure what processing the search function does, but it's no google. What might be cool is for the augi people to set up a page that will spit out all posts so that google can crawl the site and we could then get search results through google. Right now google doesn't appear to be able to crawl forum info.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=urban+site&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=sloping+curb&as_oq=gradual+&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=forums.augi.com%2F&safe=images

try searching for "urban site gradual "sloping curb"" on the augi search... nothing.

here's the thread, these words and phrases are used multiple times:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24227

And THAT is why people must repost the same questions over and over.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-23, 01:11 PM
Well tested your sloped curb in AUGI. Seems I got 7-8 hits
http://forums.augi.com/search.php?searchid=265811.

Agree with the Google thing though. would be cool just to Google it.

whilgendorf
2005-08-23, 01:11 PM
Sorry this is the first time I have ever used this site before and my co-worker never told me about the search function until it was to late but I know now and have used it a few times already. Sorry for any problems caused

BWG
2005-08-23, 01:24 PM
When doing the search, even the advanced search, I either get nothing displayed or a lot of links that are useless - like several pages. It is quicker to just ask and wait for a response. If you don't want to respond, then don't.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-08-23, 01:32 PM
Hi whilgendorf,

Don't let this post put you off asking for help on Augi.
I am sure everyone that is registered on this forum has had someone tell them to go to the search engine.
When searching, remember not to type the entire sentence of what you are looking for.
Just type in a keyword or a single function.
You will see that there is a sticky post, that says make sure the title matches the subject.
So in your future posts, don't forget to do this, and hopefully someone will benefit from one of your posts.
http://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Keep 'em coming!!!!
ps... Zeds you have opened a can of worms here!!!!

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-23, 01:32 PM
This is not to get an appology out of anyone. Sometimes my abrupt manner is misleading or misunderstood.

It is mearly there to try inform, that searches do exist, and or, for AUGI to see if there is not a way of controling the same stuff comming up.
The dim tick thing has been repeated three times in a very short period, namely 16th Aug-19th Aug, lastly 22nd Aug. Funny I picked those dates up with searching for "dim tick" and even the current thread was in the list.
http://forums.augi.com/search.php?searchid=265831

It is not meant to stop people from throwing post out there, but when it is as trivial as a dim tick don't you think mabey it's been covered. over and over and over.

BillyGrey
2005-08-23, 01:44 PM
In the last 2-3 months I have found up to 8 posts on how to change a Tick Mark for Dims. IS THERE ANY WAY OF CONTROLLING THE SAME RUBBISH ROLLING OUT.

I don't think anyone should feel inconvenienced by inexperienced users, or consider anything that newbies post as a group as being rubbish. In fact, at the risk of opening that old wound, the problem of negative posts doesn't apply to just inexperienced users venting their frustration at the program on this board, but also how we choose to respond in general to newbs. As it was alluded to in that thread, one of this board's greatest assets has been the patience the experienced users exhibit when dealing with what turn out to be repetitive situations (helping new users).

If you don't have anything to contribute, then why not just pass over the post?
Someone else will most likely pick up the slack. Or, try the simple phrase
"Please try a search".

But to run caps (shouting) and a pejorative that applies to the poor dood who posted that question yesterday, I don't think that is in the intent and spirit of what this gig is all about.

Just my opinion.

Thanks

Rhythmick
2005-08-23, 02:06 PM
I too started out with a few posts before I discovered the value in the search button. This forum has been extreamly helpful and a joy to participate in. I would hate to have Zeds poorly toned comments soil the experience for others.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-08-23, 02:51 PM
“Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.” 8-) In Zeds defence he has answered a lot of newb posts

Sometimes my abrupt manner is misleading or misunderstood.
Gotta love a forumhttp://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-23, 03:27 PM
Zeds, you're not trying to stop drinking coffee or something unsafe :mrgreen:

We should have a forum titled "Questions from People Who Haven't Tried the Search Function Yet"

The problem with searches is that you need to have the exact terms right -- spelling and all -- before you get a hit. Someone might have precisely the same question but different words were used in the thread. Too bad threads can't be searched by concept or meaning rather than literal words.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-08-23, 03:33 PM
I'm sure this thread will be moved to coffee without Cad http://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Gadget Man
2005-08-24, 05:35 AM
Just to point out one VERY (I think) important aspect:

The First-Time-User (or first-few-times-user) feels usually very out of place, embarrassed, in need for help and reassurance... He (or she) tries to come to grips with the new concept of REVIT, stumbles across something overwhelming and cries out for urgent help. They don't usually realise then, that their question is oh-so trivial. They simply need help. They don't know the geography of the AUGI yet, are too preoccupied to look around, so they ask a simple question!

And that's wonderful! It is what the AUGI is for! (IMHO)

For all of you more experienced people out there – you often are in a position to help yourself anyway (with time and effort) and, usually, you are looking for an easier and/or quicker solution to already solved (somehow) problem.
But recall how you felt the first week of your struggle with this "horrifying" program and be considerate…
I think, that the “Newbies” should be made feeling the most welcomed here, for without them we just would slowly form closed “Society of Mutual Admiration” …

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-24, 07:07 AM
...But recall how you felt the first week of your struggle with this "horrifying" program and be considerate…Very Very Well said Jerry! I hope we can continue to look through their eyes when we reply!

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-24, 07:44 AM
Zeds, you're not trying to stop drinking coffee or something unsafe :mrgreen:

It's actually beer Wes. So yes maybe that contributed.

I enjoy stirring the pot though. And look what I got, some of you actually do have opinions.

I have been a long time user of Revit forums going back to Zoogs days, (Chris, I was absolutely gutted when you shut your service down. I think I was the 100th odd that signed up!) As well as a Revit Evangelist in this country.

But if you look at the nature of how the posts are just been thrown out there, without some thought or careful consideration. I mean at one stage the 'Dim Tick thing appeared 3 times on the same page. This tells me 1 of 2 things. The user is just trying to get their post tally up, or they don't read the others at all, never mind contemplating a search or actually even trying to look it up in the help file. But I suppose if everyone used the help file there would exist no forum.

And don't even go there with the help file thing. Made it nice and big for you.

I am not discouraging posting topics at all. The point I am trying to make I think is "Look Right then Left then Right again."
I am always willing to help anyone, if you take into consideration what we have gone thru', learned and completed successfully, as a practice using Revit over the last 2-3 years. I think our experience in completing 100% Revit documentation, on large to massive projects, is of value, and will gladly pass on the knowledge.

I am just asking that we keep it tidy. Have respect for those who do have to put up with it.
Scott Davis I admire you for answering that last one http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24507 I think for the 30th time. I am begining to wonder though If that's all you know about Revit. Lighten up Scott It was a joke.
I have for a long time admired the likes Of Steve,Scott, Beegee, Wes, Jim, for endlessly putting their bit in there. Without losing it as I just Have.

bowlingbrad
2005-08-24, 12:35 PM
Hey Zeds,

Maybe we should have some sort of 'Advanced User Forum'. After answering a bunch of really hard questions, you are allowed access. No, wait, maybe the questions need to be ultra 'simple'. This way, anyone that cracks under the pressure of answering 'simple' questions won't be allowed in. :wink: :wink:

Just my opinion...

And Zeds, you don't have to answer those types of questions. We all know Scott will. :-D

When I give my opinion on any questions, I just feel like I'm returning the favor granted to me by this great forum.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-24, 01:30 PM
Aahh Brad you turned my frown upside down.

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-24, 04:14 PM
But if you look at the nature of how the posts are just been thrown out there, without some thought or careful consideration. I mean at one stage the 'Dim Tick thing appeared 3 times on the same page.This is actually the moderators slipping...;) We try pretty hard to merge such similar threads when we catch them.

bowlingbrad
2005-08-24, 06:21 PM
Okay then.

Let's just blame Steve.

Whew, I was worried that this would turn into the Longest Thread in History

JohnCAVogt
2005-08-24, 09:51 PM
I wonder about the effectiveness of the search function, too. Using

urban site gradual "sloping curb"

I got nothing. With

urban site gradual sloping curb

I got two hits, one of which was this thread, and in there only the words site, gradual, and curb got red highlights.

I try to search, and have found most things I look for, and that's why you haven't heard from me much. A side question, though, with my ignorance: If I reply to a thread not added to for several months, am I apt to get a reply of any sort? I'm sure you experts don't have email notification turned on, right, or you'd be getting lots more notifications than you want. So you won't know if somebody has posted a follow up question to an old thread? If that's true, how to get a follow up answer, aside from starting a new thread?

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-24, 09:57 PM
I think most people leave e-mail notification on, so if someone adds to an old post, it becomes live again. In fact, this happens quite a lot.

This is, of course, only happens if you actually contributed to the thread (possible) or decided to subscribe to the thread even though you didn't post in it (unlikely). So if an expert was posted to a thread and you bring it up again months later, there's a good chance the experts will see it again. Plus the fact that AUGI pops the thread back up to the top of the heap.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-24, 10:02 PM
I have for a long time admired the likes Of Steve,Scott, Beegee, Wes, Jim, for endlessly putting their bit in there. Without losing it as I just Have.Oh I do lose it, Zeds. But I just beat my children rather than users here at AUGI... :lol:

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-25, 04:11 AM
...A side question, though, with my ignorance: If I reply to a thread not added to for several months, am I apt to get a reply of any sort?...As good a chance as creating a new thread. When a thread has a new post...the folder turns yellow and speaking for myself, after I log in, I search by new in the last day anyway, using this url in a IE shortcut:

http://forums.augi.com/search.php?&do=getdaily&days=1&f=93

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-29, 11:43 AM
Go to check this out. just for the laugh.
for the newbies!!!
http://www.navyfield.com/us_7/bbs_go.asp?list_index=1952&gc=7&mc=2&mode=view

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-29, 03:15 PM
That's awfully funny Zeds -- thanks for that -- we probably need one of those around here

philipnoland
2005-08-29, 09:38 PM
I posted one of the tic questions. Yeah, I found myself saying this is such an easy question. However I feel Augi is just like my boss he is there and ready to answer any question I might have and he is happy to give me a push in the right direction. I found myself in a time crunch and instead of searching around and around and getting side tracked, I thought it would be simple for someone to type an answer.It took them 3 sec. where it would have taken me 10min. I am fairly new to augi and so far I have enjoyed having someone there to help me when it is 3:00 in the morning. Augi rocks!

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-29, 09:59 PM
That's the great thing about AUGI, Philip... it never sleeps! ;-)

beegee
2005-08-29, 10:02 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-29, 10:07 PM
Shyah -- beegee... if there's ANYONE on AUGI who must have coffee in their veins...

jarkko.rauvanlahti
2005-08-31, 12:52 PM
There's this nice thing called <Spell Check> in the bottom of this window as I'm writing this - since I'm not that fluent with English, I use it a lot. Thanks for that! :)

I was wondering if Augi could have <Find similar threads> button next to it. So after having written the question out on the paper, intelligent database search could run through the posts and find similar ones. If no thread wouldn't even come close to my urgent question, I could then post it to augi? Or even better it would show threads that would have only augi moderators "official" answers and best of the others.

Would this be an answer to not getting too many similar questions?
The less we have different groups the easier it's to find correct answers to problems. I know librarians hate that kind of thinking, but with the power of modern computers these kind of things can be hided from the end users and made life that much simpler to live..

bowlingbrad
2005-08-31, 01:14 PM
It already does!
Select a thread.
Scroll all of the way down to the bottom of the page.
You should see a Similar Threads section.

jarkko.rauvanlahti
2005-08-31, 01:22 PM
It already does!
Select a thread.
Scroll all of the way down to the bottom of the page.
You should see a Similar Threads section.

No it doesn't - not when I'm writing it and haven't sent it to posts yet.

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-31, 03:20 PM
No it doesn't - not when I'm writing it and haven't sent it to posts yet.I think you might be asking the forum software to be able to tell the future? :-) If you are making a new post and want to see if there are similar threads you need to do a search first. If you don't find a similar thread, then make a new thread. In order for the forum software to do this while you are making a new post it would have to stop you after you have entered the title and do a search. A new post doesn't really exist until you submit...interesting idea but I suspect people would resent getting interupted by the search.

bclarch
2005-09-01, 09:47 PM
Even if he wasn't the most diplomatic in his presentation, Zeds makes a good point. This forum is getting to be very busy (which is both good and bad). Cutting down on duplicate posts would help reduce the clutter. I have not logged on in a week and I have 279 new threads to comb through. There are some gold nuggets in these new threads and some tired repeats. I think that trying a search before starting a thread is not too much to ask. And, to throw fuel on the fire, try the Revit help files before you even log on. <Flame suit on.>

jarkko.rauvanlahti
2005-09-02, 09:14 AM
I think you might be asking the forum software to be able to tell the future? :-) If you are making a new post and want to see if there are similar threads you need to do a search first. If you don't find a similar thread, then make a new thread. In order for the forum software to do this while you are making a new post it would have to stop you after you have entered the title and do a search. A new post doesn't really exist until you submit...interesting idea but I suspect people would resent getting interupted by the search.

The idea is to press the button after you have finished typing your question - so you would make actually _search_ without really thinking about it - as you have to do now: You have a problem -1. go to search 2. read through the whole threads and answers 3. re-think if they actually match your problem 4 . make a new thread.

I'd like to change it to 1. type your problem 2. press that button and check if there's similar posts yet 3. press send to forum if not

If the search engine can use both the title and all the words in your text - it might be more accurate and get better results than just title search.

But hey we can keep the things as they are now - thinking positive these kind of problems are basically caused by the crowing number of Revit users. :)

Max Lloyd
2005-09-02, 02:50 PM
I've got a few to throw in here...

Firstly, there is something very nice and endearing about actually having someone help you out. It constantly amazes me the time and effort people are prepared to put into helping others. A good trait I think.

Secondly, if there were no 'simple' questions to answer, how could new users re-contribute to augi? I have posted many questions, had them answered. Then taken great delight in being able to answer the same question for someone else who is in a predicament similar to the one that made me post the question in the first place.

thirdly, MAKE THE SEARCH FUNCTION MORE OBVIOUS!!!!!!! Its really not very prominent at the moment. There are so many functions on this website that even after a year, I am still finding new areas and functions.

Generally I think augi is very well designed, but I too was one that when I arrived here, took about a week to actually find any images in the gallery page! I kept missing the 'display threads from beginning', so if there were no images for that day, I thought it was empty. i have to say, I think revitcity has one up on augi for their gallery function. If more people could find it, I'm sure there would be as many posts in there as on revitcity's gallery . Don't take it the wrong way though, its my favourite part of the site and the quality there is awesome. But newby's should be encouraged to post there too.

Well that will do for now! crikes, my second rant of the day! i must need a drink :beer:

oh, and by the way, if you do a search for 'problems with posts'........... http://forums.augi.com/search.php?searchid=274085

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-02, 03:16 PM
The idea is to press the button after you have finished typing your question - so you would make actually _search_ without really thinking about it - as you have to do now: You have a problem -1. go to search 2. read through the whole threads and answers 3. re-think if they actually match your problem 4 . make a new thread.

I'd like to change it to 1. type your problem 2. press that button and check if there's similar posts yet 3. press send to forum if not
Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing them. Personally I'd prefer not to type much first and see if a search yields a thread or threads for me. I'd be annoyed to have to spend 10 minutes writing a question only to find that the subject has a thread in FAQ and 10 in the the other forums? Particularly if all you had to use is one word to find the threads? The forum won't search for words that are less than 4 characters so all the extra words we need to actually make sense are too repetitive and in every single post to be of value. The trick is picking the right word or words but few is better. If the forum searched for every "and, or, the," You get a return of every post in the forum.

As I said, thanks for sharing and I'll make sure that our forum admins and manager are aware of your ideas