PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Files

sifuentes
2005-08-24, 04:36 PM
Do you usually upgrade your projects everytime a new release comes out?

Is it convenient to keep a working project in the version it was created?

Are there any known issues upgrading from Revit 7 to 8? It seems there were some from 6.1 to 7.

Thanks,

Scott D Davis
2005-08-24, 04:54 PM
There is a new feature in Revit 8.1, which allows an "audit" upon opening any file. It has been suggested that any file being upgraded to 8.1 be "audited" the first time it is open in 8.1. The Audit can locate and fix possibly corrupt data.

It has also been suggested that we audit files on a regular basis now that we have the ability.

I usually upgrade our 'working' projects when we are all installed and running the new release. I'll keep a copy of the previous version in archive just in case, but have never had a problem. Old projects I don't upgrade unless I need to work on them.

sifuentes
2005-08-24, 06:51 PM
Thanks Scott.

Roger Evans
2005-08-24, 07:17 PM
This subject prompts a thought .. especially as earlier this week I was asked to resurrect a project albeit a hand drawn scheme but nevertheless
Say in a few years time you need to retrieve a file saved say in 3.1 & Upgrade to latest version will we still be able to view it? What will the chances be of it becoming corrupted?

To safeguard against this Is the safest method to upgrade all files as we go along?

I suspect that keeping older versions of Revit to hand will be the safest method

Phil Palmer
2005-08-25, 08:14 AM
This subject prompts a thought .. especially as earlier this week I was asked to resurrect a project albeit a hand drawn scheme but nevertheless
Say in a few years time you need to retrieve a file saved say in 3.1 & Upgrade to latest version will we still be able to view it? What will the chances be of it becoming corrupted?

To safeguard against this Is the safest method to upgrade all files as we go along?

I suspect that keeping older versions of Revit to hand will be the safest method
This is a vary good point Roger
I have loads of projects that are way back in older versions of Revit
I dont think I could keep updating ALL our projects and All I can do is hope that if I need to then they will update - I am sure support will be able to even if we cant

Damo
2005-08-25, 08:39 AM
I have loads of projects that are way back in older versions of Revit
I dont think I could keep updating ALL our projects and All I can do is hope that if I need to then they will update - I am sure support will be able to even if we cantIf you still have the original v3, v4, v5 etc Revit CDs could you reinstall the old version of Revit and work on it then (assuming you knew which version the file was saved in)?

Is it possible to reinstall previous Revit versions? (ie: does your current authorisation code work backwards)

The other potential problem is installing an old version of Revit on the same machine you have the latest version (8, or 8.1 if your N. American!!!!!!). Would you be over-writing system files (*.dll etc) with old versions?

aaronrumple
2005-08-25, 11:31 AM
You can install every version of Revit ever written on the same system. They all play happily together. Your issue will be licensing a v4.5 or older. In pre-Autodesk days the license code was sent out bu Revit monthly for subscription. So an old code wouldnn't work and Revit would only run in demo mode. Maybe the factory could assist.

I've upgraded files many versions out of date without issue. However I do recommend in our office that file be upgraded every few versions.

Les Therrien
2005-08-25, 01:20 PM
I've actually been wondering about all these issues in the last few days.
The problem I was thinking about regarding older versions is this:
1 - Yes you have to know which version the file was originally created in. I just recently started making release number as part of the file name.
2 - If you decide to go this route, and a few years from now get new commputers, then the CD is not going to help you since there more often then not is a new build or two afterwards that you wont have.
3 - a few years from now, older versions will take up too much real estate on your hard drive.

I sort of like the idea of updating the old files as newer versions of Revit come out. However, in a few years that will mean hundreds of projects for me!!!

I don't find any one solution that great.

jbalding48677
2005-08-25, 04:21 PM
FWIW, I have files that were created in 1.0 worked on through 3.1 and I was able to open them in 7.0. Now, as far as any auditing or corruption problems, I can't say for sure.

Damo
2005-08-25, 04:24 PM
I don't find any one solution that great.Maybe when a project is finished you archive the Revit copy (with version number), export AutoCAD dwg (and /or dxf) files of each sheet and finally a Acrobat PDF of each sheet.

This might be a bit over the top, but I suppose it depends on how important the data is and how likely a job will ressurect itself.

Roger Evans
2005-08-25, 07:09 PM
In my experience (which is also based on sod's law) it's always the least unlikely project to get resurrected ... in fact had another call today for a job to be pulled from the archive ~ (this one in Revit 5 I think) .. If I had tried to bet on a prediction of this job coming up again I would have lost the bet.