PDA

View Full Version : importing a risa model

david_peterson
2005-08-25, 01:59 PM
So I've installed Risa 5.5, RS, and the Risa/revit link.
I start a new project in revit structural (out of the box demo version) and reload all the column shapes and beam shapes. I then go to the external tools, update model from risa, chose the import file option, select my risa model and nothing comes in.
Can someone tell me what I did wrong here.

Tom Weir
2005-08-25, 02:31 PM
Hi David,
At this time I do not believe the analytical function is bi-direcitonal. You cannot start a model in RISA or ETABS and import it to Revit. You have to go the other way, from Revit to Risa.
You could start a Revit file with say one column, export that to Risa, build your model, and re-import.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

david_peterson
2005-08-25, 02:42 PM
Well that dosen't do me any good, I've already got that model done.

I'm guessing that the bi-directional protion will be in the next version?

Tom Weir
2005-08-25, 06:04 PM
David,
Keep your fingers crossed.... The goal is for you, the engineer, to be working in Revit to develop the analytical model at the least and add loading patterns as well.

I know in my office the workflow is fairly well divided between engineers and cad drafters. Moving to this new workflow will be a real challenge since people are so used to working that way. But Revit is blurring the line. Of course it makes a lot of sense if you are using several analytical packages. In that case you can draw one analytical model in Revit and export the whole model or part of it to different analysis packages, instead of having to create a new model in each package.

Are you willing to alter your workflow methods to accomodate this. I am very curious if this is going to catch on. In my office we have only done a bit of this so far.

Have a great day....

Tom Weir

david_peterson
2005-08-25, 06:49 PM
See actually I'm the drafter.
We've been looking at all kinds of different software lately. Everything from Ram Cad Studio to Archicad and everything in between. We use Ram for most of our building design, and our engineers are very proficient at it. We also use Risa for somethings, E-Tabs for others and SAFE. What I'm hopping :D is that we can (in the future) transfer data from one program to another through Revit or some other application. While Ram works great for most of our building Risa dose a better job at lateral work (or at least that's what I hear). From my understanding they can't take a model from one application and use it in the others. So I'm hopping that we can import a model from Ram into Revit, turn around and export the Analytical model back to Risa or e-tabs.

Our workflow is a little different as we are pair with our Architects in most cases. So for prelim design, we don't do much except create a 1 or 2 bay model of the building, just to get a rough guess for cost and size of structure. It's not until the Archie's get the layout mostly nailed down that I as a drafter would even seen anything on the project other than a soil boring.

If I have a chance at getting us to go to Revit, the import option needs to work and Ram must be on board. Our engineers had a hard enough time switching from R14 to 2002 in plain AutoCAD. They shouldn't have to learn another program in my mind.

We just bought a copy of Ram Cad Studio which is a 1 way program from Ram to Acad that creates true 3d objects. It has a lot of promiss except it's only a one way street. I hope in the future these programs all become 2 way streets, otherwise I don't think it will catch on.

Jos Arpink
2005-08-25, 08:38 PM
I recently had occasion to talk to RAM Int'l about CADStudio. I asked them what plans they had with respect to Revit. I was told they are working on a Revit link for RAM Structural System for release near the end of the year, after which they would set their sights on a Revit link for RAM Concept.

They were very interested in the fact that we were adopting Revit Structure in our office and wanted to know more about potential workflow issues. Tom is absolutely correct. Revit blurs the line that separates who does what in a typical engineering office. The sooner we accept that, the better off we'll be.