PDA

View Full Version : Ellipse Wall

ctc
2005-08-25, 02:31 PM
Can a wall be created following the shape of a true ellipse in plan without creating an in-place family?

Using the wall tool I am unable to pick the ellipse to create the wall.

When I create the wall as a sweep in-place family it will not join and cleanup with other families.

J. Grouchy
2005-08-25, 02:33 PM
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24528

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-25, 02:38 PM
Can a wall be created following the shape of a true ellipse in plan without creating an in-place family?
NO!

When I create the wall as a sweep in-place family it will not join and cleanup with other families.

Craig, when creating in-place wall ensure you select "Walls". Then before finishing the family set the "Material" to the same of that of the walls "Material". Only common materials will clean up. You have to use the "join" tool to achieve the clean up.

Rhythmick
2005-08-25, 02:43 PM
Overlay a grid line on the ellipse and the wall should be able to follow the grid.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-08-25, 02:48 PM
Huh ???????

ctc
2005-08-25, 02:50 PM
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24528

your post was not helpful.

Rhythmick
2005-08-25, 02:52 PM
OOps - tryed that, grid line will not overlay the ellipse, it's a method i've used for radius walls.

ctc
2005-08-25, 02:55 PM
NO!

Craig, when creating in-place wall ensure you select "Walls". Then before finishing the family set the "Material" to the same of that of the walls "Material". Only common materials will clean up. You have to use the "join" tool to achieve the clean up.

I am trying to clean up the new wall with a ceiling, which is comprised of several materials. No matter which material of the ceiling I select for the wall, it won't join and clean up. Other walls that I have created using the wall tool join with the ceiling in question.

aaronrumple
2005-08-25, 03:01 PM
In 8.1 complex wall shapes are supported - although limited.

You will need to first create a massing object of the correct shape. You can then use "Wall by Face" to create the eliptical wall from an eliptical mass. This will dispaly the proper construction layers in plan and doors and windows can be inserted normally.

Hatching will not show up on the face of the wall. Doors/Windows will need to be placed in 3D or elevation - not plan. The wall will not have grips. It will have to be changed by editing the mass. complex wall types are not supported.

Rhythmick
2005-08-25, 03:15 PM
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24528Tryed using the search function, Aarons solution was not there, - I guess it will be now!

aaronrumple
2005-08-25, 03:23 PM
It is a method that has only been publicly available for a week...

Rhythmick
2005-08-25, 03:38 PM
It is a method that has only been publicly available for a week...That's my point Aaron - grav8e's witty post was uncalled for!

J. Grouchy
2005-08-25, 03:55 PM
That's my point Aaron - grav8e's witty post was uncalled for!
I wasn't trying to be witty...the point was that perhaps it should have been posted within one of the other several threads addressing the creation of walls following elliptical paths...mostly for the sake of keeping the subject within as few threads as possible so a search on the topic would be more helpful to those interested.

Perhaps I should have been more clear... *shrug*

Rhythmick
2005-08-25, 04:19 PM
Not shure how anyone could have read that into your post! [" EDIT"- nor do I know why anybody would want to read through the link to get your point, when they are looking for help building an elliptical wall.] The fact is that the new information is contained in a post titled "Ellipse Wall" which should get plenty of hits with the search engine and it contains updated info near the beginning of the thread. Perhaps your post would have been a whole lot more helpful if you would have linked an older useful thread on the subject into the new thread. Your point being that the posts should be ammended - I'm not sure I want to read through 3 years of old posts to evaluate a solution that may be on the first page of a post with a more current date. If it's not there already a date filter could be used with the search engine.
-My 2 cents-

Wondering what can be done with these useless unrelated posts we've posted cluttering up the thread? - they really belong in the thread you linked - which IMO belongs in the trash can!