PDA

View Full Version : Roof pitch meeting at ridge?

Michael Coviello
2005-08-25, 03:02 PM
Is it possible to create a roof and specify that it meet the ridge of a crossing roof?
Rather than guessing the pitch, then adjusting the pitch by trial and error (and out of control fractions), it would be great to just have the ridges meet.

Scott D Davis
2005-08-25, 03:13 PM
You can use a spot elevation to find the elevation of the ridge (if you dont already know). Then use a Slope Arrow in the roof sketch rather than Slope Defining Lines. The Slope Arrow has Properties. In the Properties, you can set values for "Height at Tail" and "Height at Head" of the arrow. Draw the slope arrow from the eave to the ridge, and set the height at head/tail values to the known values.

J. Grouchy
2005-08-25, 03:14 PM
You could use slope arrows and designate the elevation at the ridgeline (taken from a spot elevation?)...

**EDIT**
D'oh! Scott beat me to it!

Matt Brennan
2005-08-25, 03:28 PM
To align in a 3D view, you first must set a work plane in the view that is not perpendicular to the ridges of the roof.
1. In a plan view, sketch a reference plane that is not perpendicular to roof ridges.
2. Select the reference plane, click properties, and type a name for the reference plane.
3. Open the 3D view and from the Tools menu, choose Work Plane.
4. From the drop-down menu next to Name, choose the work plane name you created from Step 2 and click OK.
5. Use the Align tool to align roof ridges.
Another method is to use the shape handles. Just like a wall, you can grab the grips and move them up and down to the desired location.
This was copied from the help menu of Revit Building 8. If you would to do the search yourself, search for “align roofs”. If you have any questions Michael, please do not hesitate to ask.

Michael Coviello
2006-02-28, 04:56 PM
You could use slope arrows and designate the elevation at the ridgeline (taken from a spot elevation?)...

**EDIT**
D'oh! Scott beat me to it!

this doesn't take into account the depth of the roof so i'm having to add a fractional offset which isn't meeting exactly. Isn't there anyway to account for this w/out fudging it?

captainbunsaver
2006-02-28, 10:12 PM
And For Another Method:

I just tried this to make sure it works:
The roof to be modified must have it edge aligned with the ridge.

With a 3D and elev/sect view open, select the ridge of the roof to be modified.
Go to the elev/sect view and choose "Move", and pick the point of the roof and then the point of the ridge to move to.
Voila!

TC

Michael Coviello
2006-02-28, 10:21 PM
I'm need to maintain a set plate height of the shed dormer. Moving the roof moves the base point (base offset) of the roof.

SkiSouth
2006-02-28, 10:41 PM
Michael,
Not sure, and can't try it right now. Change the rafter cut of the new sloping roof to be a two cut plumb with a "0" fascia height and see if that helps.

captainbunsaver
2006-02-28, 11:25 PM
The method I proposed doesn't move the entire roof, only the ridge.

TC

Michael Coviello
2006-03-01, 01:59 PM
i temporarily changed my units precision to 1/256 and it worked with spot elevations and slope arrow.