PDA

View Full Version : Audit?

truevis
2005-08-26, 03:16 PM
I notice in 8.1's open dialog box that I may now audit Revit files for corrupt data. Not that there would ever be corruption involved with building projects, but has anyone fixed some problems with this feature yet?

sbrown
2005-08-26, 03:44 PM
What are the problems with the feature?

truevis
2005-08-26, 03:57 PM
What are the problems with the feature?
No problems. I'd just like to hear of problems that it has or could have fixed.

Scott D Davis
2005-08-26, 03:59 PM
The Factory has recommended that all projects being upgraded to Revit 8.1 be audited upon opening the first time in 8.1.

Also, they recommend regularly auditing files. This audit will find corrupt or potentially corrupt data and fix it.

David Conant
2005-08-26, 04:26 PM
Audit has meaning only for files that use worksets. It forces Revit to open and regenerate all elements. By doing this, elements that cannot be regenerated are uncovered at a time when they can be deleted without corrupting the file. In normal workset operation, elements are not regenerated until they are touched in some manner. This greatly improves performance. Unfortunately, if a bad element is found after you have been working on the file for even a short time, a regeneration failure can cause the file to fail. Before Audit, it was nearly impossible to find the bad element. You were forced to backtrack through backups until one without the offending element was reached.

Scott D Davis
2005-08-26, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification David!

bowlingbrad
2005-08-26, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the Audit clarification, David!

Makes much more sense now...

Brad

truevis
2005-08-26, 05:57 PM
...Unfortunately, if a bad element is found after you have been working on the file for even a short time, a regeneration failure can cause the file to fail. Before Audit, it was nearly impossible to find the bad element. You were forced to backtrack through backups until one without the offending element was reached.
What kind of things might have caused an element to become bad? Could they be born bad?

dgraue
2005-08-26, 06:07 PM
I'm assuming you would audit the central file, not the local....correct?

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-26, 06:32 PM
What kind of things might have caused an element to become bad? Could they be born bad?Ow! <holding hand over eyes> Make it go away!

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-26, 06:33 PM
I'm assuming you would audit the central file, not the local....correct?You could audit both. Or just audit the central and make a new local from central... if the central is completely up to date.