PDA

View Full Version : Detail Library

fletch97
2005-08-26, 05:45 PM
Hello -

Looking for tips and advice for quickly building a details library?

The Architectural firm that I am currently managing doesn't have one and trying to get details from the users is like pulling teeth. I am getting no help from management either, so I am on my own to generate this library. Looking for any suggestions? Are there free detail library's out there to modify? or do I actually have to buy them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Wanderer
2005-08-26, 05:48 PM
Hello -

Looking for tips and advice for quickly building a details library?

The Architectural firm that I am currently managing doesn't have one and trying to get details from the users is like pulling teeth. I am getting no help from management either, so I am on my own to generate this library. Looking for any suggestions? Are there free detail library's out there to modify? or do I actually have to buy them?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Fletch, while you wait for an answer, scroll down to the bottom of this page, to the links under the heading 'similar threads', you should find something through there to get you started.

thanks.

drafting.33933
2005-09-11, 01:48 AM
Fletch,
I don't know if you have found your answers yet, but I have some suggestions. My Engineering Firm has been in business from 1989 (boss by himself), I joined him in 1991, I didn't get my standards & library "officially" started until 1997 - and I'm still working on it, so it is an on going "project"

I started by creating directories - Annotation, Drawing - Arch & Struct, Drawing - Electrical, Drawing - Mechanical, Drawing - Civil, Title blocks & Drawing Sheets, and Standard Layouts (No Modifications). These are my MAIN Library Headings.

Please note that there are NO templates in these directories just blocks and CAD files to be edited. All Drawing Templates are located in a separate set of directories.

Under the above mentioned directories are sub-directories. I will not list them all, but examples are -
ANNOTATION: dimensioning properties, break symbols, drawing titles, drawing call-out bubbles.
DRAWING - ARCH & STRUCT: construction materials, kitchens & washrooms, doors & windows, and others
(used to create building layouts).

To get started, I started to take blocks (the good ones) and save them to their appropriate directories. I did manage to convince management to let one drafting technician to work on this project for one winter season (December to March) full time. Fine tuning came while working on billable projects. I would ask a drafting technician, while working on a particular drawing(s) to make blocks "pretty" for it/they will be tagged for standardization. To this day, I have a library directory containing 39 megabytes of info - not including drawing template files.

hope this helps.

Ted

arcadia_x27
2005-09-12, 12:00 PM
If the users don't want to share their details, then why not just raid their hard drives so to speak, copy everything or anything of use to your own and start sorting through what they have to start creating the library. If they have an issue with that, and this is a task you've been assigned to carry out. you should raise your frustrations with their superiors. I'm sure you'll get the support you need. If you have to. A quick explanation on how much time and money would be saved by having a standardized detail library will go a long way to gain their support.