PDA

View Full Version : Reference lines in Symbols/Detail Drawing Template

noah
2005-08-28, 07:10 PM
Does 8.0/8.1 fix the problem of reference lines in symbols not being apparent when inserted in a project. For instance, you can only have a center reference PLANE in a symbol family and add reference LINES. But you can't align/lock anything to these reference lines within a project.

The reason I ask is I've developed two separate detail drawing templates. The first is a symbol that stretches based on the scale of the drafting view (the user just designates the modules, 1x1, 1x2, 4x4, etc). The second is a detail component that also stretches but not automatically. I have to manually change a scale factor parameter for each drafting view (or select the appropriate Type). Anyway, the symbol based family works the best because it is fool proof. Anybody can insert the symbol into a drafting view at any scale and the template is ready to go. However, you can align/lock objects (e.g. break marks) to the reference lines that I have in the symbol family. This is the same problem as trying to get two views to line up on a sheet (you have to eyeball it). The detail component version does allow you to align/lock to the various reference planes I have setup. But I'm afraid people in the office will start to draw a detail at 1" Scale but use the 3" Scale template accidently.

Anyway, I'm hoping 8.0/8.1 let's us align/lock to reference LINES and/or allows us to add additional reference planes to symbol families. Anybody tried it?

noah
2005-08-30, 12:18 AM
I guess I'm the only one who's run into this. Maybe I should post it to wish list.