PDA

View Full Version : Column with capital problem

Griff
2004-02-09, 03:22 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to add a capital on top of the this column, but it gets placed at the bottom of the column instead of the top. I think I'm close but I'm missing a step. Any help would be appreciated.

rhys
2004-02-09, 04:17 PM
Select the capital in elevation and move (disjoin first)to the top of the column. Select the top of the blend and align and lock to capital reference plane . do the same to the bottom blend and lock to capital base. Move the capital top reference to check that it flexes ok.
Rhys

aggockel50321
2004-02-09, 06:07 PM
Here's one with the same geometry, but using the generic family template, swithed to a column family.

I've never had any luck using the column template for this stuff. Using family parameters, I know of no way to pick up the upper level as a parameter.

The only difference with this column is that you have to manually adjust it's height. It does not snap level to level like other columns. Presently, all the parameters are set as type parameters. Change them to suit

Griff
2004-02-09, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm still just learning about families so I'm afraid I don't understand all that Rhys was refering to. In elevation, I can move the capital up (I didn't see where I had to disjoin anything). When you mentioned "select the top bend and align and lock to capital reference plane", were you refering to the drag arrows at the top and the bottom of the capital, or were you refering to clicking on the "edit top" and "edit bottom" buttons?

Andrew, I can adjust your's to work and I'm no just looking at your discription of how you built this so I can see about making some other sizes.

Thanks again for the help

Paul Monsef
2004-02-09, 08:19 PM
When using the Blend option i find it's easier to create the Top and Bottom on the appropriate workplane(s)...

So, when sketching the bottom of your Capitol,,,, hit the 'Set Work Plane' button and select the Capitol Bottom workplane you created... For the top u could use the "Upper Level" as a workplane

I've attached a simple column with a wider base, trim around the top / middle / bottom, You can attach both the top and bottom to a level. plus the offsets work (I think)... maybe this will give you more good ideas than bad habits. :D

rhys
2004-02-10, 04:49 AM
I was refering to the drag arrows disjoin is on the top bar

rhys
2004-02-10, 05:29 AM
Here's your file

Griff
2004-02-10, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the help with the capitals! Being the only designer in this huge company that isn't an ADT or Archicad user, I depend a lot on this newsgroup. Thanks again