PDA

View Full Version : Disable Worksets?

cadpro
2004-02-09, 05:15 PM
:? I have a situation where i need to take a revit project to a
meeting/presentation on a laptop. This happens to be a fairly large project
w/ worksets enabled. I need to be able to show the model in the meeting and
have access to all views and to change visibility of various objects.

So far we have tried copying the master file to the laptop, and also local
copies,,,,,, But when we get offsite, all of the workset errors occur....

Is there a workaround for this, or can worksets be disabled completely?

PeterJ
2004-02-09, 05:35 PM
I have made worksets work by using MS Briefcase facility which has been there for some time in at least 2000 and XP.

You drag copies of things into it and it keeps them synchronised with the source. I drag the entire project file accross and that way everything in the folder is kept current. It usually reports that it can't find the 'real' central file so everything is done locally but the model seems no worse for that, but I think this method would fall down if someone in your office did any other work on the project in the meantime.

Alternatively. Give the laptop a different workset user name, and check out everything and save locally.

cadpro
2004-02-09, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the reply Peter.... Sounds completely reasonable to me... I'll give'er go. :wink:

LMSmith
2004-02-09, 09:11 PM
Here are two ways to approach this problem:
(1) Have everyone Save to Central and relinquish all worksets. Copy the central file to your laptop and Save As a new central (under options on SaveAs). Now you can check out all worksets to yourself (be sure to check our family, view, project stds worksets as well). Owning all the worksets, you won't get hasseled about editability at all. NOTE though that this option will separate you from the central file in your office. Any work that you do at the meeting will have to be copy and pasted back in.

(2) Alternatively, you can just try to check out as many worksets as possible in your local file (while able to access the central) and then take that off site.

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-09, 10:11 PM
If you do LMSmith's #1 option, you just need to save the laptop copy back to the server and make it the new central file to keep your changes. Just make sure nobody does any work till you're back....

cadpro
2004-02-10, 07:56 PM
Thank you all,,,, we got it workin !!