PDA

View Full Version : Revit 8.0 --> 8.1

norman.93625
2005-08-29, 11:09 PM
Anybody know how 8.1 will be distributed to existing 8.0 (non-subscribers)?

According to this: http://revit.autodesk.com/Building/8.1/EN/documents/RTF-Revit%20Building%208.1%20Web.pdf in the second paragraph it states: "Existing subscription customers can use their existing serial number to register the new release once the download is completed and the product is installed. All other customers, including AutoCAD Revit Series customers, will need to run the product in trial mode until your product package arrives with your serial number."

What is meant by "...until your product package arrives..." Is Autodesk distributing this package to us? By mail? E-mail?

TIA

Norman

BWG
2005-08-30, 01:51 AM
Anybody know how 8.1 will be distributed to existing 8.0 (non-subscribers)?

According to this: http://revit.autodesk.com/Building/8.1/EN/documents/RTF-Revit%20Building%208.1%20Web.pdf in the second paragraph it states: "Existing subscription customers can use their existing serial number to register the new release once the download is completed and the product is installed. All other customers, including AutoCAD Revit Series customers, will need to run the product in trial mode until your product package arrives with your serial number."

What is meant by "...until your product package arrives..." Is Autodesk distributing this package to us? By mail? E-mail?

TIA

Norman

If you are not on subscription, I don't believe you will be getting it. We have series, we downloaded when it was available and got a CD via FEDEX - couple of weeks after. I am not sure what the difference is between series and non series except revit and acad use the same license file under series.

sbrown
2005-08-30, 01:28 PM
I'm not an adsk salesman, but with Revit I would highly recomend you get on subscription. For the $695 a year or whatever it is to be able to take advantage of the subscription center(support) and getting downloads of the latest software which is released 2 times a year(usually more), it just makes sense. I was just at our local revit user group meeting and was pleased to see how many firms are using revit in our area. It really seems to be taking off(finally) and its still relatively new, so I think we will see major functionality improvements and features with each release(as we have in the past) I can't imagine missing out on this. And with no "backward compatability" you may have issues with families and such as manufacturers start to develop window and door families, they will most likely be in the latest version of the software and you won't be able to use them.

I remember when adsk bought revit and I was happy enough with my release 4.5 or 5 that wanted to make sure I could by it and have a license forever incase revit went away. I'm allways amazed at the improvements made in each release.

As for your current issue, I would contact the person you bought revit from and ask how you obtain the point release, if it is indeed included in your purchase.

dnilsson
2005-08-30, 01:39 PM
I have always been told by my reseller that subscription was required with Revit, that there was no option. Is this incorrect? Not that I have any intention of dropping my subsciption, but I have repeated this to other potential Revit converts. I don't want to spread bad info.

BWG
2005-08-30, 01:44 PM
I have always been told by my reseller that subscription was required with Revit, that there was no option. Is this incorrect? Not that I have any intention of dropping my subsciption, but I have repeated this to other potential Revit converts. I don't want to spread bad info.

The initial purchase requires it, but after that, you can go on your own, but without the ability to upgrade. If you want the newer/newest versions, then you will need subscription. If you decide to buy later on again to get the newest version, it will require a subscription.

norman.93625
2005-08-30, 05:36 PM
The initial purchase requires it, but after that, you can go on your own, but without the ability to upgrade. If you want the newer/newest versions, then you will need subscription. If you decide to buy later on again to get the newest version, it will require a subscription.

Ok, I've heard the rhetoric about this being more than a regular point release, but then why is it called a point release? And since when does any company (besides Micro$oft) charge extra/requre sub$cription for a version that comes out less than 6 months, after the proir version is released and less then 2 months after we just bought it.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-30, 05:41 PM
Things are a little weird this time round because Revit 8 was released merely to time with AutoCAD 2006.

8.1 is being released merely to time with Revit Structure 2.

Revit's development is still happening quickly, so quickly that each point release could be considered a major release. But you'd have to talk to the marketing people about their rationale for all of this. Big companies aren't always aware of what all their departments are doing ;-)

When you buy Revit you get subscription for the first year anyway...

Steve_Stafford
2005-08-30, 06:17 PM
...And since when does any company (besides Micro$oft) charge extra/requre sub$cription for a version that comes out less than 6 months, after the proir version is released and less then 2 months after we just bought it...Bentley, the folks that make Microstation, have been using a subscription model for longer than Autodesk although they call it something like maintenance. You pay your yearly fee per seat and automatically get any updates or releases as part of that fee. If I recall correctly it isn't an option either, do it or don't use the software. So Autodesk isn't really stepping out on their own with this business model.

Fwiw, Revit was only available via subscription originally, before Autodesk bought it.

I'm sure there are other examples as well.

norman.93625
2005-08-30, 07:46 PM
Things are a little weird this time round because Revit 8 was released merely to time with AutoCAD 2006.

8.1 is being released merely to time with Revit Structure 2.

Revit's development is still happening quickly, so quickly that each point release could be considered a major release. But you'd have to talk to the marketing people about their rationale for all of this. Big companies aren't always aware of what all their departments are doing ;-)

When you buy Revit you get subscription for the first year anyway...

Okay, I see that you are from Pacific Alliance Technologies, our rep is also from Pacific Alliance. He may have missinformed us and/or have incorrect information. We bought Revit 8.0 about 2 months ago for the first time and as I understood it from him, it was without the subscription package and therefore we were not going to recieve this update. Perhaps I can give you his name somewhere off forum and we can get this straightened out.

Norman

BWG
2005-08-30, 07:58 PM
Ok, I've heard the rhetoric about this being more than a regular point release, but then why is it called a point release? And since when does any company (besides Micro$oft) charge extra/requre sub$cription for a version that comes out less than 6 months, after the proir version is released and less then 2 months after we just bought it.

Autodesk....

If you just bought it, you are on subscription.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-30, 08:13 PM
You know, Norman may be right... Autodesk was making subscription mandatory for Revit, but I think they may have gone back on that requirement.

Lashers
2005-08-30, 10:15 PM
Still doesn't get away from the fact that we are in a two speed Revit world now!

I have a subscription and am beginning to resent the fact that we (off world'ers) don't have the normal straightforward access that we always had!

Someone flip the switch and let us get on with it! Please.

Wes Macaulay
2005-08-30, 10:46 PM
Ah Lashers... in the future it won't be a problem (9.0 onwards). But for now you're going to have to wait a couple more weeks for 8.1 in the old world.

mmodernc
2005-08-31, 03:41 AM
Yes well looks like those in the newest world are gunna hafta waita few red moons.
9 is in the dreamtime.

ita
2005-08-31, 04:40 AM
My good friend "Parkinson" (Martin P of the Perth Western Australia variety) emailed me late yesterday to say that he tried again to register R8.1 and it worked! So I gave it a shot and guess what? . . . it worked!

mmodernc give it a try - you have nothing to lose!

brett05
2005-08-31, 06:37 AM
Yep, worked here too. Still dunno whether to use it or not though.

ita
2005-08-31, 07:23 AM
Brett I have been using it for some 18 hours now and it is very stable. Seeing it was released in the US it will be about as good as it can be.

Batman
2005-09-01, 12:14 AM
Were you able to register 8.1? (obtain authorisation from Autodesk)

Pretty daunting message that goes with the download, as follows;

Important Message for customers living outside of Canada, Latin America or the United States
Please note that this download of Autodesk Revit Building 8.1 and Autodesk Revit Series 8.1 is only applicable for customers in the USA, Canada, and Latin America.

If you live outside the USA, Canada, or Latin America and choose to download this build, you will be able to run it in a trial mode for 30 days and will not be able to register it with your current serial number. DO NOT USE THIS VERSION ON ANY EXISTING PROJECTS as they will no longer be usable in Revit Building 8.

Edit: Another who can confirm everything works fine for Au.

Lashers
2005-09-01, 11:00 AM
Ah Lashers... in the future it won't be a problem (9.0 onwards). But for now you're going to have to wait a couple more weeks for 8.1 in the old world.
I know I know . . I am normally very chilled about these things, but its subscription paying time next month . . . I want normal service to resume . .

:-)

gbrowne
2005-09-01, 11:54 AM
I received an email from Autodesk subscription advising me I can download, yesterday.

I just did so, authorized it, and am now using it!

Nic M.
2005-09-01, 12:48 PM
Here to,
recieved:
"New Extension available for download
ADSK Revit Bldg 8.1 Extension is now available free of charge as part of your Autodesk subscription. Download it now and install at your convenience. "

't sen nogal kapoenen daar eh?

Install is at my convenience but registration is not, reseller is looking in to it.

ita
2005-09-01, 08:08 PM
It would appear that good sense has finally reigned. All for what?
Adesk have damaged a lot of goodwill on this one!