PDA

View Full Version : Custom hatch patterns disappearing?

Yman
2004-02-09, 10:10 PM
Has anyone else had this problem in R6. Everything worked fine in 5.1 until I upgraded to R6. It seems to be if the surface pattern is too dense it will show the pattern as grayed out or no show it at all. I have elevations and 3d exterior that are all spotted pattern fills. It seems to do it on new files also.

Seems to happen in fill patterns of custom or simple so I don't think it is related to graphics card or plotter.

I have noticed that it happens also on plots, that sometimes a certain fill pattern area will just be gone.

This is starting to get to me and wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have been exploring this for a while now and have nothing but problems with fills.

Y

PaulB
2004-02-10, 01:54 AM
This possibly happened to me also. When I was working on a shed that had vertical corrugated sheeting the vertical hatched lines didn't plot. The view was at a scale of 1:200. When I changed the scale to 1:100 the lines reappeared on the plot.

I don't know if this is the same problem but it might help.

sbrown
2004-02-10, 05:06 AM
Yes I've seen it too. Jim Balding said he'd seen it in earlier releases but I haven't. I've had to scale up my patterns which is ok, luckily it hasn't been on anything too scale important, like bricks.

rhys
2004-02-10, 05:17 AM
Had this problem again recently lost part only of some vertical 6" siding on screen, depending on scale, and on plot. Solved on colour plot by using vector not raster, and also plotting in computer, don't know which sorted it.

Yman
2004-02-10, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I will have to try a couple of more things. I'm running out of ideas though and went back to R5.1 for now. I need my hatch patterns our I'm screwed in R6.0. Elevations don't look good without there materials. They work if I scale them up but the rock and roofing patterns are too big in relation.

Scott, try rotating your building where you would have a semi-sharp wall (where the fill pattern would be dense) It should either disappear or turn grey and then do a plot preview and the pattern should be gone. Could you do that and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Y

sbrown
2004-02-10, 06:12 PM
I have confirmed what you asked. The hatch appears grey on the screen but doesn't print at all. I sent a email to my CSA, hopefully there is a work around, the only one I can think of is filled regions but thats a pain.

My guess is they changed the tolleranc level for displaying hatch patterns to make the views regen quicker but we need a way to print the full monty.

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-10, 06:50 PM
Here too...yucky

sbrown
2004-02-10, 07:05 PM
I just got a call from support and they see the issue, no workaround yet.

Yman
2004-02-10, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I was starting to think I was the only one with the issue. At least I know (or I think) that I'm not crazy now.

Y

FK
2004-02-10, 11:02 PM
It works like this: if more than 50% of the face would be covered by the pattern lines, we just paint the face. Vector mode does not paint faces. The lines can be made thinner by using higher resolution (raster quality: presentation) or (for model patterns) finer scale.

Bug reports with minimal examples are always welcome. 8)

Yman
2004-02-11, 03:26 AM
Was this the same requirements in the program that was in R5.1 because it seems to act a lot different in R6.0. Just curious.

Y

FK
2004-02-11, 09:58 PM
No, there was a rewrite between 5.1 and 6.0. Revit has been converting dense patterns into solid fills for a long time, what changed is the logic that decides when the pattern is too dense.

If the plotter were to cover half the face with lines it would look outright ugly, wouldn't it? But then, if the pattern does not look that dense, there may be a bug.

Do you get any improvement from higher resolution or switching to vector?

sbrown
2004-02-12, 12:33 AM
Vector gives me no hatch at all in these areas, I will try raster.

FK
2004-02-12, 01:15 AM
If vector drops the pattern, raster will probably just shade it.

What throws Revit off is that the pattern makes double lines between tiles. This makes the pattern appear denser, to Revit. Can you send me a .pat file for it?

sbrown
2004-02-12, 05:27 PM
Here it is, just rename it .pat
While your at it see if you can scale this pattern up more than 15 times.
the troof 1 is the one that im loosing. the dslstn is a stone pat that I can't get to scale up.

dnilsson
2004-04-03, 03:50 PM
If the plotter were to cover half the face with lines it would look outright ugly, wouldn't it?

This is simply unacceptable. Maybe there is a case I can't think of where it would be preferable to have a solid black face on a drawing rather than a dense hatch pattern, but as far as I'm concerned I need to be the one who makes that decision. Not the software! I have a project with a 60 degree bend in the middle of the building, so half the walls in the overall elevations are not perpendicular to the view. I now find out that those walls can either be blank white or solid black, but will never show the brick pattern at a scale that fits on the sheet! Terrific. So I try to change to a simple parallel line pattern and I get the wonderfully descriptive "constraints not satisfied" message.

Revit does so many things well, that when you find something it drops the ball on it makes it that much more frustrating.

sbrown
2004-04-04, 07:11 PM
I've been thinking about printing with shaded with edges and set up the colors to be various grey scales so that I can at least indicate diff. materials until they fix this.