PDA

View Full Version : Steel Framing

gj
2004-02-09, 11:31 PM
We are new users trying to model a steel framed building.

The rafters are 450 UB's at 5deg pitch.
The supports are 150 SHS.
This is not a portal frame.
How do you :-

Plumb cut the rafters ?
Project the SHS posts to underside of rafters ?
How do you rotate the beam after it has been placed ?

All ideas gratefully received.

beegee
2004-02-10, 03:02 AM
We are new users trying to model a steel framed building.

The rafters are 450 UB's at 5deg pitch.
The supports are 150 SHS.
This is not a portal frame.
How do you :-

Plumb cut the rafters ?
Project the SHS posts to underside of rafters ?
How do you rotate the beam after it has been placed ?

All ideas gratefully received.

1. One way to plumb cut the sloping rafters, would be to model a plumb cut end and join it using join geometry. It really depends in what views and level of detail the plumb cut will appear. [ Paging Greg Cashen ... you've had more experience with this than I }

2. Set the height of the shs using properties. You may need to measure this and then set the individual heights to suit.

3. If you are talking about a sloping beam, Refer this topic (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1922&highlight=sloping+steel)
If you're talking about actually rotating a beam, then this topic is the one (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2494&highlight=rotate)

gregcashen
2004-02-10, 08:00 AM
If you are doing a lot of complex stuff with framing, I would consider two approaches...

1) model your frames as separate families...there are already some on rugi. make each frame/bay/portal/etc as a separate family you can control the joints because you are creating the framing members exactly as you want them rather than relying on Revit's (currently erroneous) assumptions about how framing members should join up.

2) create new framing families that are not framing families. there is currently no way to override the default behavior of framing families. There are some framing families on rugi that are roof based joists and trusses. you can place them by selecting the host roof and if you create voids in the family to cut the tails, you will get plumb cuts like you desire.

I either create the families specific to the project as in step one, or I use a lot of detail lines and linework to get the desired results.