PDA

View Full Version : Keynoting Utility

JamesVan
2003-05-01, 01:43 PM
As many have stated before, the overwhelming desire for a tool to manage a list of project keynotes. When keynoting an object, you could search for and select an existing note or create a new one.

On sheets, a keynote table would compile all keynotes found in views that are attached to the sheet.

gregcashen
2003-05-02, 01:11 AM
On sheets, a keynote table would compile all keynotes found in views that are attached to the sheet.

I would like to see it work like Family Libraries work in the sense that you could have a bunch of different note "families" and you would load them as necessary. Obviously, this would only work for oft-repeated notes and typicals, but you could add new ones directly to the project (like in-place families) and then if you don't reference a note, it would purge and not show up in drawings, etc.

Dean Camlin
2003-05-02, 12:26 PM
I've been asking for keynote schedules for a while. Ever since I was introduced to CONDOC many years ago, it's seemed a good way to unclutter drawings and tie them closer together with the specifications. Maybe we'll see this in 6.0. . . .

mikesheehan
2004-03-16, 07:12 PM
Here's my crazy vision.

Yes key note schedules would appear on each sheet.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a spreadsheet or table where you could develop the keynotes as you get more specific information. I start a project knowing the general material and methods and define it as the project proceeds to completion.

3300.A might start as "New concrete pad" in schematics or DD

3300.A might be " New 6" 3000 PSI concrete pad on 6 mil vapor barrier with 6 x 6 x W1.4 x W1.4 mesh." by CDs

The table should be printable so the spec guys can mark it up, or I can review it at home. Drag and drop form the table to the model would absolutely rock.

The notes should support word wrapping making narratives possible,
IE:
"Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester Panel adhered to existing gypsum board wall in accordance with manufacturers printed instructions. Marlite FRP, pebble texture, 48" x longest practical length, color P100 - white or equal."

That is the kind of power and flexibility we need for key notes. If Revit gave me this kind of notational ability I could dump ADT and exhale!

Steve Cashman
2004-08-02, 07:26 PM
This is an excellent idea. We constantly use keynoting and Revit would seem to be perfect for it - due to its database structure. We were just talking the other day in our office of how great it would be if keynoting was added to Revit. Right now, we're using a work-around, but it's not the best.

Years ago (AutoCAD/Auto-Architect era), I used ConDoc and the contractors and my architects loved it. It would scan the drawing and compile a keynote list for that sheet. The contractors found it really helped them during bidding not to miss anything.

The only downside we found was issuing letter-sized sketches during construction. A detail or sketch was worthless without the keynote legend. I saw a system once that allowed you to toggle between a shorter "keynote" listing (i.e., 07620, 07620 - Flashing, etc.) and a longer "keynote & text" listing (i.e., 07620 - Prefinished galvanized steel flashing, etc.).

GuyR
2004-08-02, 08:22 PM
You can do sheet filtered keynote scheduling now. It's a bit of a work around but I'm using it all the time. There was a post on Zoog showing how to do this.

The biggest problem is I'd like to store the keynotes in a type catalogue but Revit doesn't reload changed keynote types from a type catalogue. So you only get one chance to define the notes externally without deleting the family from the project and starting again.

Keynoting hasn't changed since V4.5 so hopefully we'll see some changes soon.

Guy

PeterJ
2004-08-02, 09:28 PM
Keep a master keynote family, run two instances of Revit, update your master family in one and reload to the project file in the other. It's not perfect but it's as quick as I have found a way of doing it.

Also, if you have a long keynote description field with carriage returns and so on required, assemble it in word or notepad first and then cut and paste.

Still a workaround though if anyone is listening....