PDA

View Full Version : Cut-away 3d?

Adam Mac
2005-09-01, 02:46 AM
Hi all -

have attached a 3D image of a shipping container which i have
been asked to reproduce -

can Revit do the "cut-away" effect? If not would appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

TIA

Adam

Merlin
2005-09-01, 02:58 AM
Hi Adam,

There is a way of doing a "sectioned" 3D ....it relies on your defining the boundaries of your scope box. Rather than explain it here, go to help and check the tutorials....under "Presentation Drawings".

Having said that, it is limited as to the "cut-away" plane you may require....your image shows a ramdom cutting and removal of the walls blocking the viewing of the internals (almost like an oxy-torch has cut away the walls in front). I don't think Revit could do that...unless you went to the extreme trouble of creating the removed walls etc and then just turning off their visiblity.

HTH,
John Mc

Andre Baros
2005-09-01, 03:04 AM
In this scenario, since it's just one container itself that is cut away... and would probably be drawn as an in place family anyway, it would be easy to do the cutaway. Modeling everything else would be just as easy in Revit as anywhere else (or easier)

Adam Mac
2005-09-01, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys....

Just had a thought - for the walls anyway - could i not edit the profile of the walls to give me the "cut-away". Not sure about the roof though??

jbalding48677
2005-09-01, 06:01 AM
Adam -

I did exactly what you are referring to, see THIS (http://spas.about.com/library/weekly/aa061503pjg2.htm).

You have to undo or remove the sketch lines to put it back the way it will be built. As noted above you can use the "section box" (not scope box) in view properties to get a similar effect.

As an after thought, you could use the design options to leave the cut away in the model at all times and only show in one or two views!!!

Parkinson
2005-09-01, 06:46 AM
you could use an in place void, cut out walls and ceiling to what ever shape you want and make a special phase for the void.

Adam Mac
2005-09-01, 07:17 AM
you could use an in place void, cut out walls and ceiling to what ever shape you want and make a special phase for the void.

Thanks Parkinson - that's probably the way to go.

JB - is this what you did to achieve the Spa image?

Either way it's becoming very obvious that it's possible - just what i like to hear (...read??)

Thanks again guys.

jbalding48677
2005-09-01, 04:28 PM
I used "Edit Profile" to achieve this. This was a sample project so I was not worried about the final appearence. If I had Design Options available then, I would have had an option with cut walls and an option with full walls.