PDA

View Full Version : Export to dwg

Urban D
2005-09-01, 03:04 AM
Hi, I do contract drafting for some architectural firms. I am using Revit and need to send acad files to one firm in particular. I want to keep the number of files/sheets that I have to send to a minimum. If I export to dwg and just select the Drawing Sheets with Export Each View or Sheet as a single file box, will that provide an acad file that can be edited.

Next, If I zip the acad file and send them to the client, will they have editable files at the other end, or do I need to also zip the .pcp files? (I included the jpg files in the zip as they relate to the title block).

Sorry about the long question, but I need to get it right as I don't want to have to go back to using acad for drafting.

Any advice appreciated.

gbrowne
2005-09-01, 07:50 AM
The answer is yes to the first question, it will provide an editable cad file. The problem I find with exports is they often are not as "clean" as you want them. Often I have to use acad to go and clean them up, realign things, delete odd lines, fix text etc. before sending on.

As for the .pcp files, they allow the recipient to print off the acad drawing as you would see it, in terms of colours and line thicknesses. I would stick them in the zip, as they are tiny, and may be of use at the other end.

Personally, unless the recipient need cad info, I usually send out .pdf files, and indeed it might be an idea to include one of them anyway, so they can see exactly how you want it presented.

All in all, the revit to cad export is pretty flawed, and I think it may discourange a lot of people. Combine that with lack of support for .pdf and you have to wonder..

Urban D
2005-09-04, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I decided to check a couple of the exported dwg files and some of the text has a mind of its own and has moved a little. I can cope with that. The other thing I noticed is that there are a number of filled regions with different colours representing categories in the retail stores which have all come across in green. Do you know if it is possible to change the settings so that the different colour filled regions export from Revit to acad. Or do I have to redo all the filled regions again in the acad file.

Thanks.