PDA

View Full Version : Shadow diagrams in elevations

rjjlee
2005-09-01, 06:16 AM
I have to produce some shadow diagrams showing what the sun-shading is doing to the building in elevation. I know that I can't duplicate elevations as I can plans (which make doing a series of plan shadow diagrams really easy to do). I am making new elevations for each different time of day I want shown. Is there any another (faster/easier) way of doing this? or should I be posting this as a wishlist?

beegee
2005-09-01, 07:11 AM
Hi Renee,

Could you export the elevations as jpg or images and then re import them into Drafting Views and place on the sheet.

This would mean that you can work in each elevation view ,without duplicating , just setting the shadow time for each case.

Max Lloyd
2005-09-01, 07:48 AM
Beegee,

Just a thought with that. How do you match the scale of the elevations once saved as a jpg? I'm sure this must have been covered before. I have seen JB's tutorial on scaling jpg's http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7588&highlight=scale, I just wondered if there was a way to export them in the first place 'to scale'?

thanks,

Max.

Andre Baros
2005-09-01, 12:02 PM
If you print to a PDF at a known scale, say 1:10, then you can convert your PDF to a jpeg (I use Photoshop but there are other ways) then you have a JPG at 1:10 which you can place on a sheet. Alternately you can import it into a drafting view, scale it by 10, and you have a "full" scale jpeg.

But for the elevations, I would just keep creating new elevations for each option, you can't duplicate elevations, but you also can't get jpegs to update automatically. Then again if you don't need the updates, then the jpeg meathod is much faster.

beegee
2005-09-01, 09:54 PM
Resize is now the recommended tool for this.

To resize a jpg elevation is very straightforward, working with known dimensions.

Beegee,

Just a thought with that. How do you match the scale of the elevations once saved as a jpg? I'm sure this must have been covered before. I have seen JB's tutorial on scaling jpg's http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7588&highlight=scale, I just wondered if there was a way to export them in the first place 'to scale'?

thanks,

Max.

rjjlee
2005-09-01, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys,
I think I'll have to stick to making multiple elevations as the building is still evolving. I'm putting this one into the wishlist if it isn't already!

rod.74246
2005-09-04, 08:59 AM
Easiest way we found to do this was link the model into a separate file and use that soley for the sun studies. Shadows are great but if you are running around through your working file and accidently select a sheet filled with 15 shaded elevations you'll be waiting 4 or 5 minutes for the sheet to regenerate.

It also means you aren;t loading up the file with additional images and elevations.